Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows ME system resources

Quote Originally Posted by ktotheezzo
    thanks, for the replies

i kinda figured that's what the deal was (that win me sucks......), i have a copy of xp, but the reason i haven't upgraded yet is because ive heard that it does what ive heard to be called a ''wipe and load'', that is, basically reformats your harddrive then installs windows. is this true?

my reason for being hesitant is that i have some unreplacable programs and files that i cant afford to lose. i know i can back up the files on cd, but i cant exactly do the same with the programs.
    Well yes WinME isn't the best Win9x os there is (98SE is the best closely followed by 98) but the problem is common to all Win9x oses in this case but XP doesn't automatically reformat your hard drive. If that XP copy of your's is an upgrade version then yes you can just upgrade what you have and still save the info on your drive but there are perils in doin' that as likely ya'll wind up with an unstable PC or an upgrade that won't complete for various reasons (and it just may work fine but ya could also loose that info ya want saved as well so backup that info anyway). If your version is a full version then yes you will need to format your drive first but with either version it's best to start from a clean slate. I always partition a drive into 2 partitions b4 I load the operating system so that if that os goes out the window then all I have to do is format the os partition and then reinstall without havin' to loose all my important info which I save to the 2nd partition. If ya have a burner handy then I'd suggest backin' up all your important info to CD (you should do this anyway whether ya follow the rest or just do an upgrade or just for safety sake), fdiskin' the drive into a 5GB C: partition with the rest of the space on the D: partition and then installin' XP onto the C: partition, then those backup CD's can be reloaded onto ya D: partition or just get use to doin' a reboot now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    If your version is a full version then yes you will need to format your drive first
    No you don't (if it is already formatted, which it is), you can upgrade with the full version. You can also install on already formatted partions. I do agree that it's best to to reformat and use at least 2 partions in this situation though.:thumb:

Did I mention MaxMenm is freeware @ 137kb :?:

I think it will actually solve your problem for the time being. When you can afford the time, you can consider the alternate OSs available.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I would suggest a Usb key, say 128 or 256 megs of space that way the data is independant of your hard-drive therefore you are free to scrub the sucker clean with 0's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information