Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows ME system resources

I'm running Windows ME on a 900 AMD Athalon with 512 PC133.

my problem is that after a couple days without turning off or restarting my computer I get an error message saying that the system resources are running low when i try to open a program that takes a lot of memory to run. or it may even happen while the program is running. at this point, my memory usage is at about 50% according to norton, and 40% according to windows.

my questions are these: what's up with this crap? why am i at half of my memory usage yet i dont have any system resources? is there more to system resources than just ram? and most importantly, what the hell can i do fix this????

Best way to fix the problem would be to replace WinME with XP. From what I understand lots of people have problems using Me (as well as 98) with more than 256MB of RAM. System resources are not the same as RAM but will obviously affect your proformance. Win Me has some memory allocation problems. Can't actually remember using Win ME for an entire day without restarting at least once. If all it takes is a restart every couple of days then you are doing better than the average Win Me power user. I know it's not cheap to switch to XP but I sure don't miss the BSOD (blue screen of death) screen.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Actually it's caused by the poor memory management that all Win9x oses have. Programs that ya use don't fully release from memory when they are finished with so they build up takin' up more space. There are memory management programs around but I've always a reboot now and and again more preferable to usin' them.

Firstly - I would like to suggest that anyone running Norton isn't all that concerned about system resource conservation.

Secondly - to free up a bit of RAM before you open up a program give MaxMem a try.

Analog X has about the cleanest running memory management tool you will find.

I too would suggest migrating away from ME if possible - you can still do a lot with Windows 98 :thumb:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

thanks, for the replies

i kinda figured that's what the deal was (that win me sucks......), i have a copy of xp, but the reason i haven't upgraded yet is because ive heard that it does what ive heard to be called a ''wipe and load'', that is, basically reformats your harddrive then installs windows. is this true?

my reason for being hesitant is that i have some unreplacable programs and files that i cant afford to lose. i know i can back up the files on cd, but i cant exactly do the same with the programs.

If I may interject here...

Being in a computer science program, and going through an Object-Oriented Programming course, this whole thing about ME reeks of the perils of dynamic memory allocation.

In a nutshell, the problem is:

User starts program -> Windows allocates memory -> User uses program and finishes up and shuts it down -> Windows does NOT release the memory allocated -> memory that has no use just keeps building and building, leaving nothing for the system, thereby causing it to crash and blue screen

I know this is stating the obvious, but I just had to get it out of my system
    http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/foldi..._original&.jpg

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those that know binary numbers and those that don't

very technical, Regardless Windows ME is the worst OS i have ever seen.. It crashes very very easily, and just is not worth even 5 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by calcrazy

I know this is stating the obvious, but I just had to get it out of my system
    But, did it free up any resources?:bounce2:

Possibly, but they were quickly replaced with booze, lol
    http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/foldi..._original&.jpg

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those that know binary numbers and those that don't

XP won't teformat your hard drive unless you tell it to. I would suggest you do so anyway. Some of your programs won't work, and it will save space that ME and any of the programs would normally take up with leftovers after the install. Just back up any important files first.

However, If I were you, I might go down to 98\98SE (assuming you have a copy, if not XP will do). It's much better than ME, and there are ways around the BSOD. I haven't had a blue screen in a long time with my install. The problem with XP is that it takes up a lot more resources than 98, so your Athlon might be a little overwhelmed at times.

And just for arguements sake, 9x OSs are know to have more problems than normal when you go over 512 MB of RAM, not 256. And all Windows versions, including XP, have memory management problems; it's just harder to crash in the NT-based ones than in 9x and older.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information