Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mram q.'s and tasks

Did you take a look at msconfig? I don't know what the situation is with your workstation, but I bet you bring it to 21 or less, not counting any programs that are running right now that you don't use constantly.

unneccesary processes and servcies :shoot2:

I run 21 processes at startup but then I also use those processes and everyone has different needs/requirements.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Did you take a look at msconfig? I don't know what the situation is with your workstation, but I bet you bring it to 21 or less, not counting any programs that are running right now that you don't use constantly.

unneccesary processes and servcies :shoot2:
    Actually, I do need everything that's running at the moment. I do know what I'm doing. :) A couple extra services isn't really gonna hurt my machine in a hurry, so I'm not terribly fussed.

Those services come into our homes at night and
    I know you know what you're doing (that was illustrated a long time ago:) ), I was just amazed that you use that many programs. Not really any of my business though. And just a little bit off-topic.:o

I think that I beat Beff atm with what I'm runnin' but then they ain't slowin' me down either though there are a few things that I'm not usin' at this time that would add to that list. :laugh:

Holy f*cking moly! That's a truckload of processes there Wiggo! I'm sure you know what you're doing, but surely you don't need things like Kodakccs, easyshare (both digital camera apps), InCD etc. running all the time? I use a kodak digital cam and I have no kodak processes running ever, even when I connect up the bugger!

Beefy - you don't need any of the ATI services/apps running in the background, you can disable them all (see my Catalyst guide in case you're wondering which services I'm referring to).

Basically, of course some people want/need various processes running based on their preferences, but the more you can cull out of those that run at startup, the less memory AND CPU cycles you will sacrifice.

BTW Yawgmoth I do urge you to read the virtual memory guide I mentioned before - "freeing" memory the way Cacheman does it is an illusion - it doesn't help in any way, shape or form. All the benefits of Cacheman are the memory management registry tweaks it perform. The free RAM crap it runs in the background is not useful for your system. Read the VM guide to find out why.

PS - I use the built-in XP firewall and I haven't had a single virus or trojan since using XP. It is more than sufficient with a few basic precautions (such as not opening strange attachments) to keep your system safe.

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Holy f*cking moly! That's a truckload of processes there Wiggo! I'm sure you know what you're doing, but surely you don't need things like Kodakccs, easyshare (both digital camera apps), InCD etc. running all the time? I use a kodak digital cam and I have no kodak processes running ever, even when I connect up the bugger!
    Actually they don't run all the time but I've been doin' a bit of camera work and burnin' the edited images so I'm happy usin' those processes for the job at hand. As I said earlier I've only 21 processes at startup but durin' the course of a day I can be doin' plenty of things and a lot of them almost at the same time though today has been an average one. ;)

Is the guide you're refering to the paragraph you have in the XP one, the link in the XP guide, or something I haven't seen yet?:?:

Yawgmoth - this guide

Wiggo - Of course as you run various programs more processes rack up leading to the picture you posted. I didn't notice that you mention you only had 21 at startup which isn't too bad :)

I had already read that. I figured the difference would just be very little, rather than aboslutely no difference. Evidently I was totally wrong. I ran PCMark04 after freeing up as much memory as possible with Cacheman and turning off it, Zone Alarm, and Symantec AC Corp off. I scored 2080 (my computer sucks, *cough*Beefy, remember?*cough*). I ran it again after having disabled them and hkcmd.exe (and Cacheman) at startup (they never run, not end process neccesary). Scored 2078. Normal fluctuation, I suppose. Rebooted and ran again with all 4 of my extra processes enabled at startup. Ended all of them, ran PCMark, scored 2092. Ran again without doing anything, scored 2102.
    The result -- freeing memory in Windows XP using a third-party program such as Cacheman, has a negative effect, if any effect at all.

But the built-in firewall just doesn't cut it compared to a third-party or hardware firewall.;) It will stop things, no doubt, but it's horrible for gaming (takes longer to turn off, and you certainly wouldn't play with it on) and there are much better alternatives.:2cents: But my point before was, he certainly doesn't need it, in any sense of the word. However, you could say he needs the other 15 processes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information