Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why won't Windows XP install???

Hey everyone. Hope everyones chillin'.

Here's my situation. I just bought a HDD and Windows XP and was planning to install it today. However, shortly after the install process (and by shortly, I mean RIGHT AFTER the progress bar fills up to 100%, and STILL in the 'Scandisk Blue' background setup program that gets booted off the CD) I get the following message:

-----
    Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration information. This indicates an internal Setup error.

Contact your system administrator.
    -----

Now obviously, the contacting of the system administrator is a joke and I can ignore it, but what the hell is it talking about with regards to not being able to set the config info???

Why won't my Windows XP install? If there's something wrong with my computer that won't let the installation complete, what's the problem?

I must've blown over $300 getting this new HDD and XP CD! :mad:

How do I fix this!? :grr:

Again, all replies are welcome and appreciated! Thanks in advance! :cheers:

-Fiercest :thumb:

Beefy Guest

Computer specs?

Specs as follows:

-Tyan S2390B Motherboard which uses the VIA Apollo KT133A Chipset
    -Athlon XP 1700+ at 1.47Ghz
    -512 MB of SDRAM
    -Maxtor 80.0GB w/ 8MB cache - This is the one I bought to install XP on, so it's brand new and I installed the NTFS partition through the XP install program
    -ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
    -Sound Blaster Audigy MP3+
    -D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter

Need anything else? Just ask.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fiercest
    However, shortly after the install process (and by shortly, I mean RIGHT AFTER the progress bar fills up to 100%, and STILL in the 'Scandisk Blue' background setup program that gets booted off the CD) I get the following message:

-Maxtor 80.0GB w/ 8MB cache - This is the one I bought to install XP on, so it's brand new and I installed the NTFS partition through the XP install program
    Two things I'd try:

- Try a FAT partition and see if that makes a difference
    - Do the whole first part of the setup in a different computer. When it asks you to reboot for the first time, turn it off and put it back in your PC.

Sounds good, but I may have left out something potentially important.

My Windows XP CD is a Windows XP Pro Upgrade CD I bought from my college. It was bought under a student license and didn't come with a box or an instruction booklet or anything, so I guess this would make it the "Academic" version of XP Pro, though I don't have any label or something to confirm that suspicion.

Also, this sale definitely wasn't on the shady side, as I bought it from my college's official store and had to fill out a student license agreement and everything. Just thought I'd mention that in case it meant anything.

Your second suggestion sounds good, but there's something odd regarding your first suggestion.

During the XP setup program, when I created the partition and formatted it to NTFS, I don't recall it asking me if I wanted to format the partition in FAT. Since I did this like 3 hours ago, I know my memory isn't playing tricks on me. All it asked me was whether I wanted to format the partition in 1) NTFS (Quick Format) or 2) NTFS.

I've already tried installing XP with both options, deleting and recreating the partition each time. I get the same error at the end of both attempts.

As for your second suggestion, it's definitely worth a shot, however I'm not entirely sure I have a suitable second computer with which to try this idea out. The only other computer in my home except the one I'm having trouble with is my dad's, and I don't even think his rig passes the minimum requirements of XP!

I'll definitely check it out though when I get a chance. For now, I have to head out and fix my friend's computer. The irony is delicious. :laugh:

If you could think of any other things I could attempt, no matter how crazy, please post them. Also, if you'd like to save me a few minutes of searching, posting the minimum requirements for the XP setup program to run would be great. That way, I can just glance at your reply, then check my dad's comp rather then search for the requirements off Microsoft's site.

One last thing. I haven't formatted my other hard drive yet, which has my Windows 98SE installation on it. That's how I'm posting these messages online from my computer right now. So if there's anything I should search my system for (ie. with a diagnostic program or something) in order to get it to finish the damn XP install program, please post that as well and I'll get right on it.

Thanks again for all the help.

P.S.

LoL, sorry, but a thought just occurred to me:

How I'm running the XP install program is as follows: I hook up my brand new HDD, change the boot priority so my CD-Rom is first, restart the system with the XP CD in the CD-Rom drive and then hit a key when it says "Hit any key to boot from CD."

If there's another way to run the XP install program, say by copying the install files to my harddrive and then running the program off the harddrive, (which I've heard of but only know how to do with Win98SE, not XP) or any other crazy tricked out way of running the install program that I could try, please post that as well. Thanks! :cheers:

Have only installed XP on a couple of new hard drives (and a few old ones) but both were Maxtors. I'm no pro but both times I formatted and partionioned the HDs with MaxBlast first http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/dow.../maxblast3.htm . Might be worth a shot to d-load the Maxblast utility onto a floppy and start from there.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

It's probably highly unlikely but you haven't by any chance got boot sector protection or something similar enabled in the bios, it's just that I recall going mad trying to get winXP to install and it failing on me right at the very end repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiercest
    My Windows XP CD is a Windows XP Pro Upgrade CD I bought from my college.
    How are you installing it? Are you booting to the CD (I don't think you can with an upgrade version) or are you installing it from Windows 98? Try partitioning + formatting from 98 (in FAT32 as. suggested), then installing from 98 on the second partition.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    How are you installing it? Are you booting to the CD (I don't think you can with an upgrade version) or are you installing it from Windows 98? Try partitioning + formatting from 98 (in FAT32 as. suggested), then installing from 98 on the second partition.
    That's a super long way to do it. The Upgrade will still install fresh from CD, it just asks for another previous Windows CD for verification.

Even if you boot into it? Didn't know it worked that way (have full myself). But if he formats from 98 it might fix the problem he's having.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information