Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP doesn't boot

I should explain. I was messing around with my linux bootloader in fedora via webmin to try to get it onto my primary drive so that I wouln't have to use a bootdisk to boot into linux. Unfortunately, I must have done something wrong. Now XP doesn't boot.:: Here's my HDD config:

IDE disk #1 = 25 GB -- hda
    hda1 = /boot
    hda2 = /
    hda3 = swap

IDE disk #2 = 80 GB - hdb
    hdb1 = windows partition NTFS

I don't know if I overwrote NTLDR or what, but windows does not boot, even when I switch the boot order in the BIOS or try changing the options in GRUB config.

Help?
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Shuttle AK39/N
    Some sort of DDR RAM...

Someone else might be able to help you edit and fix your boot loader. If not, it seems your pretty much out of luck. you probably overwrote XP's boot loader, and I don't know of any way to get it back without reinstalling (someone else might though). Backup any important files and reinstall XP if all else fails. Note that this should write over your Linux boot loader. That doesn't matter if you have a boot disk, though.

Can you see XP in grub?

If not, then its simple. You will likely loose your linux install doing it this way, but its better then loosing your XP install I would think.

Insert the XP Setup disc, boot from it, and then when prompted, push "R" to go into the recovery console. Type in the admin password, select your windows install drive. Now your in a command line interface (CLI). Basically you just need to use the fixmbr command. It will overright the master boot sector on your hard drive.

Once thats done, reboot, and you should be able to boot into windows using the XP bootloader.

First off, thanks for the advice everybody.

I tried all of the above methods, and exchanged one problem for another: my computer now acts likes it's loading windows but reboots every time. I even clocked the processor back down to make sure that wasn't the problem.

My linux installation still appears to work tho. So I guess my windows partition is toast then?:snip:
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Shuttle AK39/N
    Some sort of DDR RAM...

Partition magic:?:

1) change boot order in your BIOS to boot from 2nd HD and see if you can hit any luck. since most prolly GRUB installed itself on hda your Windows boot.ini should be intact.
    2) try booting in safe mode and see if that is possible. if it is possible then most probably it is not Linux or your fault. rather some important files are missing. a repair is in store. Dyck15 already gave you an excellent suggestion.
    3) post your grub.conf
    4) if everything fails then rather than losing heart, just go for a repair install of XP. that will give you your Windows back and help you to relieve you off your frustration.
    5) once you got Windows back, go back to fedora and try installing bootloader again after reading documentation this time :)

#Hash#: i have never used it but will partition magic help in repairing Windows? I am interested in knowing a bit more :)
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Über! I just ran all the pertinent looking commands in the restore thing from my Windows CD, changed my boot order, and magically booted into Windows.

Again, thanks everybody for your advice/suggestions. I really thought I was screwed that time...
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Shuttle AK39/N
    Some sort of DDR RAM...

Thread Information