Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows installer

I have been trying to install Norton Internet Secruity 2004 for some time now, and just today I was looking thru my services and I switched Windows installer from Stopped to on, and now it doesnt even work at all...i dont even see it in my services list anymore. I been to Microsoft, and I have done everything there...no luck. Anyone have any thoughts? I really dont want to have to reinstall windows for this...:cheers:
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 256x2 MB DDR500
    1xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Ati Radeon 9800XT (440/780)
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

1) what error have you been getting while you try to install Norton. You said you've been trying to install it for sometime now, so what made you not being able to do it?
    2) what is happening now that you tried to "Start" the service.
    3) windows installer service is not required to install every app. i don't use norton so can't say whether it uses MSI files or not but that is when windows installer comes in picture.
    I been to Microsoft, and I have done everything there...no luck.
    4) what did you do at Microsoft? :confused:
    5) do you have a AV already installed? could be a virus stopping you from installing an AV.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

phew... Just got home and tried a system restore.. and it worked:) That has to be my favorite tool for Xp, saved me many-a-times:cheers:
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

But i still dont get why i cant install NIS2004. When the installations gets to Publishing Product information for Norton Antivirus, it says "Norton Internet Secruity Installation has failed, Do you want to try again". I have tried the steps from Symantec, and I still cant get it to work.
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

Are you connected to the internet when you install NIS?:confused: I wouldn't be suprised if it aboslutely has to have a connection while being installed. That's probably a "yes" anyway, though, so....

What steps from Symantec? Did you get e-mailed? Find a support page? What?:confused:

I'm always connected, and yeah, I found a Support page for my problem, and I emailed them twice.

EDIT: This is the page:http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...is&svy=&csm=no
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

Technical Information:
    Causes of the problem
    This problem can occur when settings or files from a previous version of Norton AntiVirus™ or Norton Internet Security conflicts with the Norton Internet Security 2004 install process. This problem happens the most often when trying to upgrade from Norton AntiVirus 2002 or 2003 to Norton Internet Security or Norton Internet Security Pro 2004.
    I don't use NIS so I'll have to do this the hard way....

Uninstall NIS if iyou have an older version or anything.
    Open up the registry editor (start, run, regedit). Backup your registry (click "My computer in regedit and then click file, export). Go to the following areas and look for anything labled symantec:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE

Delete anything you have in there (note that if you do something reallystupid in here this could cause problems, that's why we backed up the registry). If that doesn't work, go back to regedit and do a search on symantec. Make sure anything it finds is used by symantec (you should be able to figure out if it isn't) Delete any keys found. Do the same for Norton if that doesn't work. If it still doesn't work and you don't figure it out, then just don't use NIS. I don't really see much reason to in the first place...

Thread Information