Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Samsung vm8000 display issue

Hey
    I wasn't sure where to post this but my friend is having problems with his laptop. It seems that he messed around with the display/properties/advanced/adapter and then disabled the graphics adapter in the drop-down menu. Now whenever he tries getting into windows everything starts up but there is no display. He can do things and hear it going on but no visual at all. I tried getting it to start in safe mode but it isn't happening.

Anyone got a course of action to suggest? (formatting cannot be one of them :P)

thanks in advance.

does it have a video out? if so, that might be a seperate adapter and may work.....you friend isn't too bright.....and why wont it get into safe mode?

If you provided a little more information we could be more helpful. What OS is he using? At what point does the display cut out? When Windows starts to load? Do you even see anything at any point in time?

yeh sorry.
    Um from memory (hes taken it back to his flat now). He has xp on it (no service pack i dont think).

What happens exactly is this:

Boots up:
    Samsung logo appears on screen:
    logo dissapears and u see all teh dos prompt stuff:
    Then the windows xp loading screen comes on:
    then it goes black:

But u can still hear everything working in the background.
    If he pushes down and enter you can hear the opening wav file play as windows opens. you can randomly click and hear things loading but all with a blank screen.

I've tried hooking up an external monitor but its the same, but tbh its obviously a software issue not a hardware one. There must be a way of reenabling the display driver that hes disabled, but the only way I can think of is thru safe mode, which for some odd reason wont load.

I guess you could try the recovery console on his XP CD, but someone else will have to help you out with that. Also, you could reinstall without reformatting, so his files would still be there.

there may be a easier solution, but i'd suggest you boot off the XP CD and do a 'repair' install. Once that's done, install sp1 and update his drivers. Like I said, it may not be the best solution but it will work.

I'd also suggest you get your friend OFF of admin privileges and make him a power user (or less), that way he can still use all of this apps but he wont be able to make any drastic accidents like this one.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

yeah good idea with the power user.

The thing is he has a password on his bios, which he doesn't know. When I asked where he got the laptop from he said his cousin got it, and he has forgotten the bios password. So I can't select the boot device for a cd boot. could i maybe make a floppy boot disk on my machine and get onto his cd thru that?

you can make a boot floppy if you wish, but many notebooks have a key you can press to boot from a CD. For example, on my toshiba notebook, i can press 'C' before the OS starts to load and it will boot from the CD, if one is available.

here is the instuctions for XP Home floppy install: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

XP Pro floppy install: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

alright cheers i'll get back to u and let u know how it got on
    thanks again.

Thread Information