Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: FAT32 to NTFS

Hi... reloaded Windows XP yesterday after re-formating my HD with MADBOOT, and when finished, noticed that C: was labeled FAT32 (had been NTFS). Can't find a Drive Converter in System Tools (as in Win 98). What's the best way to convert to NTFS? Reformat and reload? Reinstall XP? First time i installed XP to the HD, XP formatted my HD to NTFS.

Thanks in advance.
    cuzzzzz
    (Bruce, NJ)

madboot? never heard of it...

anyway, you can convert fat32 to ntfs with the following command:
    [code:1:e9def90ceb]C:\>convert c: /fs:ntfs[/code:1:e9def90ceb]
    however, if you have any data you do not want to loset, i suggest you back it up first. while it is generally a safe option, you are messing with the file system and it is best to be on the safe side.

EDIT: It should be noted that you may get a performace hit once you convert the file system. If you want to avoid this possibility you should start over and format it fresh with the XP CD
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thank you very much. Computer still empty except for XP.

MADBOOT is an fdisk alternative suggested by Leo on TechTV. Has good points (and bad). At madboot.com

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    madboot? never heard of it...

anyway, you can convert fat32 to ntfs with the following command:
    [code:1:1cafd60c14]C:\>convert c: /fs:ntfs[/code:1:1cafd60c14]
    however, if you have any data you do not want to loset, i suggest you back it up first. while it is generally a safe option, you are messing with the file system and it is best to be on the safe side.

no problem, if you want the details on converting fat32 to NTFS you may want to read this M$ KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307881

good luck :thumb:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thread Information