Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Unable To Create Virtual Memory Page File

When installing Windows XP Pro SP1 on PCs with a SCSI disk, I've always disconnected the ATA disks because for some reason Windows always decides to install the boot files on one of the ATA disks, even when I specify that I want Windows installed in the SCSI disk.

Anyway, this by simply disconnecting the ATA disks during the installation I've always been able to install Windows and the virtual memory page file on the SCSI disk, yesterday, when I added a 120 GB ATA disk to my PC and I later noticed that Windows had decided by itself to move the virtual memory page file to this disk. But when I check on the virtual memory window, the strange thing is that it says its located on the SCSI disk, but its really in the ATA disk.

So I erased this paging file by setting the virtual memory file to size 0, rebooted, then I erased the file, removed the E: label and mounted the disk on a directory of the SCSI disk. Then I opened the virtual memory window and set a new page file on the SCSI disk and rebooted, but for some reason it doesn't create the virtual memory file. When I log in after rebooting it says that there was an error creating the virtual memory file.

Any ideas on how to solve this?
    It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.

I might be able to solve this, but need more info. What error message exactly? What you say you erased the file, you mean you erased pagefile.sys on a partition? Don't do that. Even if it's set to 0, don't delete it.

Windows will install boot files on whatever the boot drive is. It will put files on all formatted paritions (in FAT or NTFS, that is), however. At the very least, you will have "recycled," or the recycle bin's folder, on all drives. You can also simply leave your drive unformatted and unpartitoned if you don't want boot files on it. But from the sounds of it, without removing it or leaving it unformatted, Windows wants to boot from the ATA when you install it. That's between you and your BIOS, unless you just leave it unformatted.

Anyway, depending on your setup, having the pagefile on a different drive (and different channel) than your OS would be a good thing. Should go faster (unless the drive is a lot slower). Unless you were going to install programs on that drive. But it's hard to guess without knowing your setup, and some benchmarks.

I have the Spanish version of Windows, the translated error messages are:

When I login: "Your system does not have a page file or the page file is too small. To correct this problem go to the Control Panel, System, Advanced Options, Performance Configuration, Advanced Options, Change Virtual Memory and set the correct initial and maximum size for the paging file."

Then when I go to the virtual memory window to set the size of the page file I get the message: "Windows created a temporary paging file due to a configuration problem in your system's paging file. The temporary paging file is greater may be larger than the specified size"

I can create the paging file on the IDE disk without any problem, but I want it on the SCSI disk because its a 15,000 rpm disk (IDE disk is a 7,200 rpm one), so the system will perform better with the paging file on the SCSI disk.

Boot drive is the SCSI disk.
    It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;827480
    Most relevant thing I could find on Microsoft.

A few Google searches (and that article) revealed that this message is usually caused when installing Windows Server 2003. In any case, this seems as if it won't be fixable without a reinstall. You can try copying over and empty pagefile.sys file over to where you deleted one. I'm pretty sure that this happened because you deleted the page file. Unless I'm misunderstanding you. But....
    Quote Originally Posted by gaviota
    then I erased the file.
    I would suggest reformatting both hard drives and reinstalling XP. Leave the IDE drive unformatted until after the reinstall if you don't want these so-called boot files on it (and you could really be more specific here, what files?). The page file should be on the SCSI at this point (no where else to be...). You then format your IDE disk (assuming you even need it for anything). If XP moves your pagefile there (I don't see why it would...), first, put a 2nd pagefile on your SCSI disk. Reboot. Then, set the size of the pagefile on the IDE to 0. Reboot. But do not delete the file itself.

Quote Originally Posted by gaviota
    Then when I go to the virtual memory window to set the size of the page file I get the message: "Windows created a temporary paging file due to a configuration problem in your system's paging file. The temporary paging file is greater may be larger than the specified size"
    seems to me that when you booted without a paging file WinXP created a file to load boot files against your will. before you reformat, try the same procedure that Yawgm0th explained without reformatting.
    imo before you set page file to '0' on ATA disk, you set a page file on SCSI disk. that will give you two page files for the moment.
    now set page file to zero on ATA disk and when it asks you to reboot, do so. what this will do is that Windows will load boot files on the paging file that you created before rebooting i.e. on SCSI disc. that should solve the problem.
    btw deleting that pagefile.sys is real bad idea.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thread Information