Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Poweroff when clicking shutdown from taskbar...

when i goto shutdown through the taskbar it doesn't power off automatically and i have to hold the power button in...i know that in the past people have fixed this through the BIOS, but i can't find the option and yes powermanagement is enabled in the BIOS...then i checked in control panel to install APM (Advanced Power Managment) as that usually fixes it but i can't even find where i tick the box or install APM...ill mention that for some reason this just started happening all of a sudden and i'm wondering if anybody else knows how to fix it as im totally out of ideas?

btw, ill also mention that a lil while ago i reinstalled XP over the top of itself as i was having a few issues but that time 'round i didn't install ACPI (hitting F5 or whatever it was & selecting standard computer)...could this be cauing it? i don't really think it is as after i did the reinstall it was working fine...

thanks for any idea's
    At the request of wiggo ;)

That last bit of yours about the change during the re-install could very well be ya problem. :smokin:
    Ideally I think to change that you should have done a clean install. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

yeah i thought it may have been the problem too...thing is im too lazy to do a reinstall :)...

Yeah I noticed that or ya would have done it the right way to start with. :D
    <center>:cheers:</center>

For the shutoff thing to work ACPI needs to be enabled in the bios. I think you then have to do a clean reinstall, changing the "computer" device in device manager to "ACPI uniprocessor PC" won't work and will result in a stop error on reboot as XP will lose the IDE drivers.

I think you'll find you are being a bit impatient....wait a minute or two.....or three...yes minutes..... and it will shut down OK......there have been some good posts in the forum about speeding it up.....when I tried (and bloody rejected very quickly) XP it had about a 2 minute shutdown cycle....it eventually did though even though I did what you are doing at first....
    The older I get...the better I was

nah thats not the prob Oldbugger, i thought it was too, but ive done all the tweaks, and i even left it for an hour or two while i went somewhere, but it was still there :(

looks like im up for a reinstall sometime...ahhh well, i think itll need it

How are your power management settings?????You might have turned off the ability to turn the computer off??????
    The older I get...the better I was

Thread Information