Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: WinXP Stop 0x00000051 Registry error

Hi all,

I recently realised my hard drive was dying when it crashed and xp was corrupted. Luckily using the system repair/restore method provided by the microsoft I managed to repair xp and get into windows. I then cloned the hard drive with norton ghost to my new SATA Maxtor. I removed the old drive and hey presto everything was fine and running smoothly.

for about 3 days...

When i booted up with my new cloned sata drive, chkdsk ran because it said it had a consistency check to perform...I assumed that mustve been because the drive was different and wasnt set as C. It then went into xp and it was the C drive and I ran lots of programs to see if everything was working. It ran fine.

But today when i turned my pc on this morning, chkdsk ran again and started spouting all this crap about orphans and corruption and how it was going to repair itself....after chkdsk finished i got the

stop 0x00000051 registry error and it just reboots everytime.

The thing of it is, I would do the system restore/repair thing like last time only because my drive is sata now, the xp boot disk wont detect it so I cant access the drive to repair it. How can I solve this?

The drive is brand spankin new so was the fact that I was cloning a drive on its way out (with a couple of bad sectors) the reason for the failing?

If i restore it again, how can I take steps to ensure it doesnt randomly go nuts on me again?

If push comes to shove I can put the old drive in...restore that, then clone the drive onto my new one again....but its an extra load of work I can avoid if i can just read my sata in dos mode.

thanks in advance guys you saved my ass last time and I hope I get the same usefull advice again :D

That error is more common to Win2K and earlier NT oses and almost unheard of with XP but that could be caused just from the ghostin' of an IDE drive to an SATA drive plus doin' the ghosting from a suspect drive likely hasn't helped.

Yeah thanks for that, but it doesn't help does it :(

What about the sata being read in windows repair? how can I accomplish that?

It would help to know what mobo ya have as to whether you require drivers for the SATA controller or not.

Yeah sorry bout that, not exactly with it today!

Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0 Uber Bios 1004

The SATA controller is onboard, does not require a PCI card...so what to do?

Thanks for the response

********UPDATE****************

Ok so I've managed to make a disk using my mates pc with the sata drivers on it and its detected, although when I attempt the repair....no dice...

WHen in the repair console the pc just shutdown once....it was dodgy...kinda like the power supply was not feeding it enuff juice kinda dodgy. I was thinking actually recently I've installed a plextor cdrw and a new sata and occasionally a camera and pen drive....since my psu is only 360w is it possible that the addition of these coulda been a cause for things starting to fail and the pc crashing?

I also saw on another site, that SATA drives can be tempremental and some people are getting random windows corrutpions....some solvable by chkdsk..some not...this seems to be similar to my case but these people didnt have any repsonse....so I'm kinda screwed til I figure out what to do.

Im currently using my old hard drive (the one I cloned) and im gonna clone it again so i can get into windows on my sata....should give me about 3 4 days before it corrupts again...but hopfully i can solve the prob in that time.

Feel free to jump in if you have any ideas on solutions, I'd be more than willing to accept them and equally as greatful

Feel free to jump in if you have any ideas on solutions, I'd be more than willing to accept them and equally as greatful
    Fresh install of Windows :wink:
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 256x2 MB DDR500
    1xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Ati Radeon 9800XT (440/780)
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

A labotamy of my pc is an option I'd care to avoid. :D

I've re cloned it and it didnt come up with the chkdsk incosistency like the first time.....thats a good sign.

But if that guy was speaking the truth about sata drives on my motherboard, then it won't be long before it corrupts again. So i'm pretty sure its nothing to do with the cloning itself, more to do with either a failing psu or a compatibility issues with the sata drive. Evidence points more to the sata issue than any other option....so Im not out of the woods yet.

Keep em coming lads :roll:

Thread Information