Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Playback problems

Video files on my hard drive or played from my DVD Rom are played back with a “jerky” display which is very apparent with scrolling text and concentrated at the beginning of playback. There are hesitations in the progress bar as well, like something is not capable to keep up with things. Various video DVD’s I tested displayed these hesitations on the PC but worked smoothly with my stand alone DVD Player and the TV.
    PC Specifications:
    Windows XP Home.
    Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.2 GHz
    512 MB of RAM.
    70 GB, 7500 RPM Hard Drive, 38 GB free.
    I played with the Hardware Acceleration and Auto-Insert Notification adjustments and un and reinstalled the CD Rom and DVD Hardware. The problem still persists using any player available.
    I checked the UDMA setting with no positive result.
    I think I have tried everything I know of and also what was suggested by various support groups.
    The DELL support group suggested also re-installing the OS. I bulked at this and DELL decided to replace my video card with a 128 MB Nvidia Ge Force4 Ti 4600 TV out, for which I downloaded and installed the latest driver.
    This also did not solve the problem.
    Any hints on what to look for would be appreciated.

Just a thought ...and something you've prolly already done: Have you checked to see if anything unusual is running in the background?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Well these days there is a lot running in the back ground. Norton Internet security, GOBack, SystemWorks to name a few. I did check the behavior of my CPU demands and tried to check the video performance when the activity showed near 0. What I did observe was, that starting a video play back, the CPU demand “jerked’ all over the scale in mirror to the “jerky” video display.

Post a snapshot of task manager (press Ctrl + Alt + Delete). That will give a good idea of whether you have too much running or it's a different problem.

Hi YawgmOth,
    here is the picture. Thanks guys for runing with this.

Cheers,
    Oskar

Holy ****!

Note that you may end up uninstalling some programs to fix this problem. You don't want them anyway.

Click the link in my signature that's called adaware. Download, install and run it. It will remove any spyware on your computer. I would be suprised if you didn't have any, judging from that. Especially whatever that cursor program is.
    Go start, run, msconfig. Click the startup tab and post a screen shot of that (readjust the size so I can see the whole thing).. From there, I will assist you by telling what applications to untick, which will stop them from running at startup time. You have about 40 processes running, while you need less than 20. You seem to be overloaded with possible spyware, possible viruses, and tons of programs that start themselves with Windows.

Hey, this is fun! Assumption is the mother of all screw ups!
    I do have one of the best spy ware removers installed and regularly sweep the system. I do have the best virus and security firewall installed. Rest assured – no spy ware or viruses on my system. Don’t let the list of programs scare you this is only halve what could be running. I manage very well what I want to run on start up.
    I took into consideration what you are correctly eluting to long before I cried help on this forum. I prevented everything from running at startup and reduced the processes from 41 to 29. It did not correct the problem!
    Here is one more observation: When I start a video, the problem (“jerkiness”) occurs immediately. CPU loads fluctuate up to 80% and after several minutes smoothen out to 25 / 30%. At this point also the video is smooth and if I go back to the beginning of the video where it was “jerky” before everything is ok. Maybe somebody can deduct something from this.
    Yes I am a perfectionist and this glitch is bothering me although some might say “so what, at least not the whole video is “jerky”.
    Cheers, and thanks for caring.

Oskar

Edit: Because of software issues at TweakTown, links won't be underlined or have a different color. But they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by OFN
    I do have one of the best spy ware removers installed
    I have never seen a spyware removal program other than Adware and Spybot Search and Destroy that was good (I don't consider Hijack This to be a spyware removal program, but it can be quite useful). Maybe you should tell us what you have. However, after more closely reviewing your process list, I don't believe you have any spyware. At least none that is causing this probelm.
    I do have the best virus and security firewall installed.
    You mean your Norton? :roll: :rofl: I might consider Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition (rather than your regular Norton) to be the best antivirus program out there (if only slightly better than AVG), but Norton Firewall is not the best firewall program out there. This doesn't matter in this particular case, however, as the virus on your system is right there in task manager (I'll get to it)....
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups!
    You're expecting me to assume a lot by merely assuring me you have no spyware or viruses, and that you have the "best" firewall and antivirus program out there. And your assuming a lot in saying that you don't have spyware or viruses. I wouldn't be certain of that unless you had a fresh install or didn't have internet access, which obviously is not the case.

Getting back to the important stuff, this initial jerkiness is probably due to the fact that you are running so many processes. Even if some of them are not startup processes, with that many processses running at any time you are going to have these kinds of problems. I have some initial video jerkiness with 25 processes running, which I happened to have running just a moment ago (I tested just to see). It's always possible that you need new drivers for your motherboard. However, I think you should at least attempt to bring down the number of processes (29 is not an acceptible number of l]startup processes).
    First off, based on thisyou shouldn't need Roxio GoBack. You already have System Restore, and I imagine this thing takes up a lot of processing time. You should be able to not run your Kodak software at startup. If you really like startup monitor, fine, but I suggest you not run it. Does that Norton Systemworks speed disk always run, or were you defragging at the time you posted (which may be a possible fix, bad fragmentation can cause slowdowns). Readthis. Do you use some sort of Creative software thing or what? This is another thing you probably don't need or want running at startup (if it does). Searches of 1stwres.exe reveal little, and I suspect this may actually be a virus or spyware of some sort. Unless you know what it's for, I would suggest deleting it entirely. I don't think running swatch is a good idea, but if you really need it I guess it's probably not doing too much to hurt performance. The entry for nhksrv.exe here leads me to believe that it may be causing this problem single-handedly. According that site, it should be a service in services.msc. Go start, run, services.msc. Find it, stop it, set it to manual. Now we come to the real problem. Devldr32.exe.
    http://www.reger24.de/prozesse/Dvldr32.exe.php
    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...virus_k=100127

Read through the information on the second link and scroll down to the end for removal instructions (I couldn't find this one at Symantec, which I prefer over McAfee). If you can't get it fixed, post again and I can help you with it. Have you updated Norton lately? It's possible Symantec doesn't know about this one, though.

After doing all this, I strongly suggest you read the guides mentioned here.

If you encounter probelms at any point, feel free to post.

Hi Yawgm0th, thanks for hanging in there.
    I do use Spybot and let’s not get hung up on the quality issues of firewalls. :lol:
    System Restore will restore only basic settings and can in no way replace GoBack to save my rear end. My tests are done with GoBack shut down.
    I took care of nhksrv.exe as you suggested. I did not solve the problem.
    The devldr32.exe issue is another bag of worms. The Symantec site identifies it as a worm W32.HLLW.Deloder. I followed to the letter the removal procedure, and did a complete system virus scan in safe mode. 178716 files scanned and no infection found. Yes my virus definitions are always up to date.
    Also registry entries associated with this virus could not be found. But here it is, showing up in processes running. It just keeps coming back every time I shut it down. I am at a loss on how to fix this.
    How did I get this “virus”? Here one goes with assumptions again. For a Grand Child I downloaded a Demo Batman Game for him to play, and when I shut down the devldr.exe process it will not work anymore. In that assumption might lei the answer why this thing got by the security system and can’t be detected as a virus. Isn’t this fun? :cry:

dubplicate, server problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information