Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual boot fiasco, again.:(

Notepad yields a "File not found, verify file name is correct" error message.
    I tried the fdisk/mbr that was suggested, could that have deleted it like my co-worker said it might?
    Also, I cannot access the xp desktop from the xp windows folder which is located on a different hard drive than is 98. Is this normal? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Last time I downloaded something from an Mp3 site that claimed to be free the virus that exploited Microsofts Virutal machine tried hopping aboard my comp. only to be Owned by Norton antivirus.

No, none of this is normal and sounds Like Virus activity as mentioned above. Unless someone you know at work could get you a set of 10 Norton floppy rescue disks(Also called Rescue disk and it makes 10 floppy disk 1st one is bootable others are for editing harddrive info like the mbr in the event of somthing like this happending and Virus defintions for scanning) to find this virus and destroy it, any changes you will make will most likely be undone by the Macro/Virus.

I'm not sure if any other Virus scanners have this feature.

Just to clairify you do not need a virus scanner to use these floppy disks(Rescue disk set) you just simply uses them like any other dos based utility.

You can always reformat and Start from scratch , however when you do get this Problem fixed, which ever way that is, make sure you Have a Virus scanner running with updated defintions espically when downloading files from any source you don't trust, sadly in some cases trusted sites have these problems too.

Hope this problem dosen't cause too much headache

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I doubt it, but you could just recreate it anyway.
    Just recreate the boot.ini file. In notepad, change the file type to all files when saving and name it boot.ini.

As #Hashx# mentioned, it is possible that any virus you had could do more damage. Try a Symantec online scan, here. Scroll down and click "Security Scan" to do so.

After doing this, your boot loader is likely to be back to normal. Obviously it still exists (you couldn't boot into 98 otherwise, XP overwrites the 98 boot loader), it just doesn't have the proper configuration to boot into XP. It is possible that there is something wrong with your XP install anyway, in which case it just won't work. But it's worth a shot if you don't want to reinstall XP.

"Just recreate the boot.ini file. In notepad, change the file type to all files when saving and name it boot.ini."

I edited the file once in XP (because it had two 98's on it after a botched re-install) But I cannot remember the contents of the file, and creating it from scratch is beyond my abilities. I guess I will be better off just re-installing XP and let it create it for me.
    If the boot.ini file is still present, I simply cannot find it anywhere.

I went ahead and did a xp re-install. I got to a screen that said a version of xp was already installed and did I want to repair it? I clicked yes and everything came back with one notable exception. I now have a "set-up" option on my bootloader screen. Why, I do not know.
    Can I simply edit what I have in brackets and remove this option?...Thanks

[Boot Loader]
    Timeout=15
    Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    [C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"}
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

This sound like the Virus again...Did you try the Online scan from symantec as Yag0moth mentioned above BEFORE you did the repair? Repair only rewrites the system and other windows .dll's for winows to run correctley. Other wise You may still have a possible Virus problem.

Yes, I have Nortons internet security 2004 installed on both drives (the one with 98 and the one with xp). I also used Adware by Lavasoft to remove some add/spyware before trying the repair. I seem to remember seeing this option before when I was first trying to get my dual boot up and running and I botched to install somehow. Once it was deleted from the screen, no other issues were encountered.
    I did get a message from Norton, during the re-install that informed me that windows was attempted to write to the boot sector. I figured this was a normal occurance since I forgot to disable the 2004 program prior to re-installing xp.

I don't think it's a virus anymore. Try removing this line:
    [C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"}

If it were a virus it would probably be evident in C:\Autoexec.bat (available from start, run, sysedit). I wou;dn't worry about it. Unless it infected your 98 installation, it's not going to do anything more. Just try the first method to remove the old installation.

Most viruses will dectect maped Drives, meaning that they will scan your comptuer for other partitions/Hd's and infect them too, so Either Scan Both Hard drives Completely or Reformat them both, Repent, Reboot, and try again...If i were you I'd Goverment style wipe both Hd's reformat them 2 times...Scan,rescan, Then do it all over again :snip:
    :snip:
    :snip:
    But thats just me. :rolleyes2:

What was mentioned above might work, but it would be eaiser to Clean off both Hd's to save ya time, uless you have any Ireplaceable data, you should back up anyIMPORTANT||| Data before you do this as a rule of :thumb:

Deleting that line put me back to normal. I am not sure why it appeared on my bootloader, during the reloading of xp, but the editing took care of it.
    Thanks.:)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information