Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot fiasco, again.:(

After finally working out the bugs on my 98/XP dual boot, my son downloads a music file from Winmx and gets a bunch of spyware and a message that says my MBR has been changed.
    Now, I no longer get a bootloader option screen and cannot access XP. Why would adware/spyware want to alter my MBR and can I get it back without having to do a XP install?..Thanks in advance for any help.

That would be a virus, not spyware. By definition, if it does something so harsh as to destroy your MBR it's a virus. Would I be right to assume you can't access 98 (you only said you couldn't access XP)?
    You can try using the repair features of the XP CD, but I have never used them (and most likely never will), so someone else will have to help you there.

From what I can remember of having to fix my MBR in XP after something went wrong with a Linux drive...

1) Boot into the console repair mode
    2) Log in to the administrator profile
    3) Type "fixmbr"

If I am wrong on the exact command, I hope someone will correct me but I did thing that was it.
    http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/foldi..._original&.jpg

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those that know binary numbers and those that don't

you can also boot off a floppy with fdisk and use:
    [code:1:468ba7b064]fdisk /mbr[/code:1:468ba7b064]
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

if you've got a maxtor hd... well... you can use maxblast 3 which you can download at maxtor.com ( once you enter the program you can restore the mrb boot code ) .... or use a bootloader like bootmagic or stuff next time...
    Alfred's PC: Cpu: Pentium 4 Northwood 2.0Ghz (FSB 400Mhz) @ 2.8Ghz ( 27-35C)
    Ram: 512 Ddr pc 2100 @ 333 Mhz
    VPU: Hercules 3d prophet 9800Pro
    Audio: terratec 5.1
    HD: Maxtor 80GB S-ATA ( WindowsXP Pro SP1)
    Maxtor 40GB IDE ( Windows 2000 - Mandrake 10 )
    Apple iPOD 10GB
    Mb: asus p4p800 deluxe
    Alfred's PC 2: AMD athlon 1500+ palomino 1.33Ghz ( can't oc cuz mobo's crappy)
    ram: 512 pc133
    gpu: stupid GeForce 2 MX/MX 400
    HD: Maxtor 60 Gb IDE
    Alfred's Crappy laptop
    Toshiba satellite 1620CDS
    HD: new Samsung 40Gb

Thanks for the replies. I cannot access anything other than 98.
    The bootloader screen that use to ask me whick os to use is no longer showing up during the boot sequence. I was told (by a co-worker) that in all likelyhood, fdisk/MBR would delete my bootloader screen, assuming it is still present. Is he correct?
    My XP redises on a different hard drive than 98 does, but I cannot get to the desktop at all in XP.

Oh.... I misunderstood. That's not really your boot loader. It's just an output form of it that occurs when you have two Windows OSs on. Somehow, XP was removed from it. Make sure you can see hidden files, and go to C:\boot.ini and open it with notepad. Post the contents and we'll tell you how to edit it. Either that, or someone with a link explaining what to do (saving me the trouble :wink: ) will post (I remember someone posting it a few times).

Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

boot.ini from the "C" prompt yields a "Bad command or file name" message.
    Using the search option in Windows98 turns up nothing. I'm guessing it has been deleted?

I doubt it, but you could just recreate it anyway.

Open up notepad. From there, go to open. For file name, type in "C:Boot.ini" (with no quotes). Click open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information