Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus problem (not sure where to put) HELP!!!!

Got me a bug problem that i can't seem to find. I'm running AVG Anti-virus, and it came up with a warning about Downloader.Rameh.A, problem is, when I scan, it won't find it, neither does Norton, McAfee Stinger, Ad-Aware 6, or SpyBot S&D, it says it's in C:\System Volume Information, but even though it's been "spotted", nothing will detect it. Even tried an online scan at TrendMicro called... HouseCall? nuthin... anyone else have any ideas????????

Not sure where to put this post, and I'm desperate....
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1
    AMD FX-4100 BE
    8GB G.Skill DDR3
    Radeon HD6870
    Soundblaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro
    Logitech G15
    Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

This is the right for, don't worry.

I don't know what you mean by AVG can "spot" it, but not "detect" it. Are you sure you didn't remove it using AVG? I don't know anything about this particular virus, and I can't find it here. It might just be something AVG knows about that Symantec doesn't (which mean McAfee probably doesn't). By the way, don't ever use more than one antivirus program. That could actually be the cause. If you have more than one running, disable all but AVG and scan (again, AVG might have gotten it). If this virus is in C:\System Volume Information (and AVG didn't get it as far as you can tell), first go to folder options in control panel and make sure no folders aren't hidden. Then navigate to the folder and look for the file itself. If you find it, attempt to delete it. Post your results.

Prolly not much help but AVG spotted the same virus on my machine recently (it came in through a download from a somewhat less than stellar website). Anyway ...upon a complete scan with AVG it did find the file and kill it. Seems to me that it was a single .dll file.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

This malware has placed itself where it is "safe" from removal by an anti-virus program.

Do indeed use only 1 anti-virus program - conflicting registry entries, etc. will result from the use of more than one resident on your system, leaving you vulnerable as a result.

Disable system restore first, THEN try removing the virus with the software you choose to keep on the system.

On desktop right click "my computer"
    Click properties
    Click restore tab
    Checkmark turn off system restore
    Click apply, then click ok

Once it is removed, system restore may then be re-enabled.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Did a search on google and found about 8 enteries pertaining to this Downloader.Rameh.A One guy in particular had the same problem, but said that only the Resident shield was detecting it and could not find it with a manual scanRevelant Info same incident might have a little more info that could be of help

Also Symantec's Online Virus Scanner

Hope this helps :cheers:

it says it's in C:\System Volume Information
    This is a really, really, simple problem.

The virus lodged itself in your system restore files. They are not scannable by virus software, and so all you have to do is disable system restore, run a full virus scan, and then enable system restore again. You will loose all your current system restore points, but that's fine, you're computer is working right now isn't it? When you turn it back on you will make a single new restore point and go from there.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Ok, that is pretty much what Mr. C said... my bad (it's late)

I still think it's a good idea to scan while system restore is disabled though... and even do a defrag while you're at it and have the extra hard drive space freed up!
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Thats been happening alot lately :laugh:

:-/ So I tried it with disabling System Restore it still won't detect it and remove it

Any other suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information