Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Burn HD bacups/diskimages to DVD?

So I was wondering how large is your average install of Windows XP?

The add basic Apps how big is that. Was wondering if you can do a disc-image /backup and burn it to a DVD.
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

To answer your first question, it should be well over a GB plus more if you have updates and such. Might fit on one DVD, might not. However.....

A backup of you Windows install? It would be difficult to get working. First you would have to install XP or get the boot loader on without installing, somehow. Then you would take your backup (and if you miss a single hidden file you're screwed) and, using a different OS (dual boot with 98 or maybe get a Knoppix CD) and place all the files on the drive. Major problems will occur if anyhardware has been changed. It might not work anyway. Backing up apps is easy, though. If they function without their registry entries it'll work just fine. Otherwise, you'll have to export and backup all of them, hopefully not missing necessary ones.

Rather than backing up XP itself, you could just backup the registry, any Windows Updates you have downloaded, any apps you still want, and all of your drivers. You would then install XP, then through the apps and drivers in their proper place, and import the old registry. Again, this can potentially cause major problems. I can't imagine any reason to backup you XP installation. Just reinstall and update drivers again. If you don't reformat, some apps may still work. Again, more will work if you attempt to back up their registry entries.

What exactly are you trying to do?

What I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way to save time as far as reinstalling OS and apps.

Can't you make a disk image, say using Apple's software, to make a copy of your startup disk. Then you ought to be able to return to a fresh install state with a simply reformat and copying the diskimage to the drive, right?

Would that work? I think I have heard of people doing that.
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

Use sysprep to 'reseal' your Windows install. When it tries to reboot, boot up ghost or whatever and create an image. windows + general appz will only be 1.5 - 3GB, so you'll easily fit it on DVD.

Well using system restore would work too (unless your OS is somehow deleted or something), But if you want to create a backup of your current system in the event that you want to reinstall, it should work with the right software (can't help you there).

Thanks a lot for the information guys. It really helped.

Thread Information