Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows XP IE stop popups and crap installs plus java someth

I plugged my new HP laptop into my network and a popup installed a bunch of crap on my new system. I didn't even have IE opened.

I know its a matter of unchecking a simple setting under IE's options to stop this but I can't remember what it is. Can someone help me out here?

Also I need to access a java based program from my works webpage but had to uninstall the java sp (Not sure if thats the name) becuase its not compatable but was preinstalled on the system. Now since thats uninstalled I won't get the promt to install the express version that works with the website. Is there a way to set something to get the initail prompt popup to install this back?

This sounds like spammers taking advantage of a vunerability in windows messaging service that allows them to send popups with advertisments and what not(not to beconfused with windows messenger)

you can fix this problem by simply going here

Also if your concerned about spyware/adware being installed on your machine you can go here to dowload Spy bot S&D

Quote Originally Posted by #Hashx#
    This sounds like spammers taking advantage of a vunerability in windows messaging service that allows them to send popups with advertisments and what not(not to beconfused with windows messenger)
    [/url]
    Maybe, exactly what kind of popups are you getting? A Messenger Service window that pops up and says something, or an IE window? If it's the former, follow the instructions on the link #Hashx# provided. If it's and IE windows, just use Adaware (in my sig). If you still have problem after trying Adaware, use Spybot S&D in the link #Hashx# provided.

To fix the java probelsm you seem to be having, going to IE > Tools > Internet Explorer > Advanced and clicking "Restore Defaults" should leave everything where you need it.

Thanks guys, disabling messenger is what I needed to do to stop those popups.

Yawgm0th, IE still won't automatically download what I need to view the java based emulator I need for work after doing what you said. I don't know how to install it manually and I think if I go to the website of the creators of Java they only have the sp version (can't remember their site address or what it was I tried before). Anyway, the Java that was preinstalled on my system worked but would not let me controll the TAB key which I absolutly need to do my stuff on the emulator. I am familiar with this problem since it happened before on another system that I tried to manually install Java sp onto becuase I accidently clicked NO when my works website asked me to install the Java application the first time I visited on a reformatted system. The only sulution I found was to reformat the system again and open IE for the first time, then go to my works website and click ok to the popup that wants to install Java on the initial visit. If I let it install the expess version (my name for it) it looks just like Java sp but performs differently (allows use of TAB button on the emulator I desperatly need).

In internet options, go to the security tab. Click Internet, then custom level. You can try resetting it to medium or you can mess around with some of the java settings in there.

Your problem may not lie there, however. You can try downloading Java here.

Thread Information