Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Do they deserve it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EU planning massive fine against Microsoft

Funny... I don't see THEM suing Microsoft for millions and billions of dollars. But they are one of very few who would actually have a leg to stand on if they felt they were being kept out due to fully proprietary applications.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

:roll:
    [rant][sub-rant]I don't see why the EU doesn't sue for much more. Microsft is clearly extending it's monopoly by trying to take over all forums of software. Windows comes with a shell and built-in file manager called Explorer.exe. This is a business tactic used to take money from companies such as Gladiator Software Incorporated, which makes AstonShell. Windows has an internet browser (actually, there have been suits over this), which takes money from companies and organizations like Mozilla and Netscape. There is an e-mail client, called Outlook Express, that takes money from companies that make e-mail clients and from e-mail services (you can download the messages rather than going to the ad-filled web page). Mozilla comes to mind again (it make some money off of orders for it products, not everyone downloads). Microsoft also bundles Window with games, (such as solitaire) which takes money from companies that would wish to make those games. It.....[/sub-rant]

There is indeed truth in my satirical rant. However, suing just Microsoft for trying to gain more power in the software industry because they include Windows Media Player in Windows is rediculous. Just because Microsoft is om top doesn't mean every other company that bundles unneccesary (define unneccessary in this context, there's a five-year legal battle right there) software in it's operating systems has the right to and Microsoft doesn't. Microsoft, furthermore, is not a monopoly, in any fields. Many other operating systems are used and make money (I see a hell of a lot more Apple advertisements than Microsoft), and that's one of the few software fields they control. I would hardly consider "operating systems" to be its own industry, anyway. Microsoft certainly doesn't control the entire software industry. Here's a short list of just a few of the companies that do the same thing Microsoft does with this software bundling.

Red Hat Inc.
    Lindows.com
    MandrakeSoft
    Apple Computer Inc.
    SUSE Inc.

For a more complete (not totally) list of companies that include "unneccesary" software as part of operating system(s) sold by those companies, possibly as an attempt to gain more power in the those industries, click here and click the "go" button. None of those orginizations are truly non-profit for those who would try to use that arguement.

I don't like Microsoft, or even Windows, for that matter. In fact, I think Linux is the best thing that happened since sliced bread. However, corrupting the court system (whatever court system you want) with rediculous interpretations of laws as some sort of attempt at "sanctioned" vigilante justice (Microsoft commits many crimes, undoubtly. However, innocent before proven guilty is supposed to apply in most "free" countries), is not going to help. In fact, the corruption caused is far more than the small amount of justice that comes from it. Microsoft might deserve this, but the justice system does not.[/rant]
    :thumbs do

You do make some good points sir!
    However I do question the addition of a file manager as being heavy-handed?
    To me a file manager seems essential to on operating system.

But, I do think next time I have a software isssue I will find an online forum populated by lawyers, as they seem to be more knowledgable on the topic than anyone else could ever be.
    Anyone know a good lawyer forum?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    However I do question the addition of a file manager as being heavy-handed?
    I was being sarcastic. My point was, who gets to define what is and isn't too much? Lookng at it the way the EU seems to be, including a file manager with the OS is Microsoft taking advantage of it's monopoly to ensure that no one else can make and sell file managers for Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    Anyone know a good lawyer forum?
    No, but I know a good lawyer.
    :D

the only way Microsoft or Windows will ever change will be with stiff competitoin. It doesn't matter how much people try to sue them for, or how many little people whine, as long as they keep makeing insane amounts of money, they wont change.

Yes, Linux can become that competition, but I hope to god that Linux does not become like windows. People say that Linux isn't user-friendly enough, or it isn't this or that compared to Windows; well good! It was never supposed to be! If Linux becomes windows-like then I will have to change my operating system yet again, ever hear of freeBSD?

What all you winodws whiners need is for a different, novice fiendly OS to emerge that my 85 yr old grandmother could use.

If you think Windows is so bad, or Microsoft is so evil then don't use it or buy their products (or download, shame on you that do).</rant>

That's what I say. However, the lawsuit is more due to the idea the Microsoft is a monopoly.
    BTW, the rant tag hasn't been added into HTML support. You have to use the vB rant tag.
    [code:1:56e0029485][rant]your rant here[/rant][/code:1:56e0029485]
    :P

Quote Originally Posted by #Hashx#
    Quote Originally Posted by zeradul

They'll see military action from the US before they see a cent of whatever ridiculous ruling they make.
    Don't forget that were in Iraq atm :thumb:
    My point was that there is no way the US government would allow such a ruling to happen. MS is a US based company.

However, Do you realize only just a few percent of our military is (or has ever been) in Iraq?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Not to mention that with the exceptions of the U.K. and France (nuclear weapons), Iraq was more powerful militarily than Europe. Plus we already have thousands of troops in Europe.

I doubt it would ever come down to military action. However, the EU can sue all they want and they won't get a dime out of Microsoft. They could make it illegal to sell Microsoft products, but they would just end up making it worse for themsleves.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Here's a short list of just a few of the companies that do the same thing Microsoft does with this software bundling.

Red Hat Inc.
    Lindows.com
    MandrakeSoft
    SUSE Inc.
    read minibubba's point again and please don't talk about those companies again or you will just make me start :P
    imo this ruling is a joke but any company supplying Linux OS is doing things way differently then what is happening on MS field.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Windows Media Player is removable, it's just difficult (easiest when done outside the OS). Just like virtually every component suplied by Linux distrobutors is removable. Those can also be somewhat (I should emphasize somewhat) difficult to be remove, but generally not nearly as difficult as Windows Media Player.

You can, however, remove the links and shell integration fairly easy.

I suppose Linux is harder to compare since most distros can be completely customized. to include nothing but the kernel.

Mac, however, is different. I'm not so experienced with it, but last time I checked, there were versions of Mac that came with software (other than let's say, file manager/shell and anything vital to the OS) that were as integrated with the OS as WMP is with some versions of Windows.

In any case, it's irrelevant. As has been stated, no one forces you to use Windows Media Player. Whether or not it's removable does not affect whether or not someone can buy other software. It's the presence of it that influences your decision, and Microsoft wasn't the first company to include "unncessary" software with its OS.

I was just using Linux distros to make a point. I have no problem with any of those companies or Linux. Let's see, so far I have downloaded and used Knoppix, RedHat 7.3, RedHat 9, and Mandrake 10. :P

Just as long as we all agree this suit is :thumbs do even if Microsoft is also :thumbs do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information