Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: Do they deserve it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EU planning massive fine against Microsoft

:shoot3: :shoot2: Looks like Europe is not very happy with microsoft Claiming that Microsoft should release a version of winodws not bundeled with Windows Media player. 617 million dollar lawsuit

The fine, Rosoff noted, is less than the $750 million that Microsoft agreed to pay Aol-timewarner lawsuit (now renamed Time Warner) last year to settle that company's private antitrust suit.

Saying that Microsoft's abuse of its monopoly power is "ongoing," the European Commission--the executive branch of the European Union--said that it will seek to have Microsoft reveal the technical details necessary for Microsoft's competitors in low-end servers to achieve full interoperability with Windows PCs and servers. As for Windows Media Player, the commission said that either that software should be unbundled from Windows or Microsoft should be forced to bundle competitors' media players as well.

:snip: :hammer: Heads will roll.

No one is forced to use Microsoft operating systems or software.
    I find these actions ludicrous and above all self defeating to the software/operating system industry.

If you have a beef with Microsoft you should vote with your pocketbook.

Use another operating system - simple as that!

Before you start whining about interoperability/compatibility and how an alternative OS just won't meet your needs, just what do you think the ramifications of lawsuits like this will do to enable an alternative.
    Nothing at all.
    This type of ridiculous sanctions does nothing to further the cause whatsoever.

This doesn't serve anyone in any way so far as I can see?

We're just missing the forest by seeing nothing but trees as far as I can tell.

Microsoft operating systems have come with a bundle of tools for quite some time now. If you choose to use a non-Microsoft tool all it requires is a bit of research to find, acquire and install one.

I've had some limited experience with a couple operating systems from Microsoft and have never felt limited to using their software exclusively.

And just who in the hell assumed lawyers know jack about PCs any damn way!

This is just completely lame - same as the countless suits against Microsoft here in the United States.

I'm posting this as I'm testing my just burned Knoppix CD - which so far I'm just completely tickled with.
    I sincerely hope no one sues Knoppix over silly crap like this. I'd much rather they not be burdened with lawsuits and be allowed to improve and innovate this dandy little OS on a CD they've got here.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

This is insane. If I buy an OS, it better damn well come with a media player, OMFG... What's next, an OS that doesn't come with it's own set of cursors? WTF
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

And I would like to mention that the last time Europe attempted to apply a heavy tax to MS's products, MS sent a representative that said, "If this tax is implemented, Microsoft will cease all sales to all affected areas" the tax discussions were dropped immediatly.

And seriously, who are they kidding? Do they really think the EU has ANY AUTHORITY over MS, LOL!!! They'll see miliary action from the US before they see a cent of whatever ridiculous ruling they make.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

bundling software with an OS is fine, the problem comes when you can't remove it becuase it been embedded in the OS; now there reallly is no need what-so-ever for that. I wouldn't give a rats ass what Microsoft bundled with Windows if I could just remove it, or choose not to install it in the first place.
    :thumbs do

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul

They'll see miliary action from the US before they see a cent of whatever ridiculous ruling they make.
    Don't forget that were in Iraq atm :thumb:

Maybe I should sue Chevrolet for not letting me order a Corvette with a Viper motor. :roll:

The EU needs to be dismantled. They already f-ed up motorcycles and are working at even more stupid ideas (like air bags and seat belts on a motorcycle :x )

minibubba, those are all fine points and well worthwhile for many users should those options be implemented.

Until such time, File Associations has always been enough to prevent me from seeing unwanted bundled programs for the most part.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

If so many folks wanna ***** and moan about Microsoft, why don't the lazy $^%^&'s build their own operating system? Then and only then will their be a reasonable response to Microsoft.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

does [this] count? :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information