Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Critical Error

Actually my entire system was brought down. I was online and all of a sudden I heard a "clicking" sound coming from one of the hard drives. It started to spin-UP!...and spin-DOWN... And when I rebooted my computer my D: drive (a SCSI drive containing Linux) no longer functioned. It wasn't even recognized by my SCSI card. "No big deal", I thought. I still had two other operating systems (Windows 98, and XP), so I used a boot disc to restore my boot loader and attempted to get into XP, but it just freezes on the screen that normally contains login icons but now just contains a windows XP logo.

So I tried my windows 98 and that's just completely toast.

I can't even get into Safe Mode on XP, and my other HD (the scsi one) doesn't work at all.

Can anyone explain what just happened to me and how I might be able to get out of this mess?

From the sounds of it you toasted your SCSI drive with the Linux mounted. Since you use a boot loader, certain areas of the MBR were overwritten, so this may explain the failure to be able to use Windows.

Can you boot from the WinXP disk and reinstall over your existing WinXP OS? This should restore the MBR and allow you to at lease retrieve data from your working drives for backup purposes. This could fix the problem, but you may be looking at a reinstallation exodus.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    From the sounds of it you toasted your SCSI drive with the Linux mounted. Since you use a boot loader, certain areas of the MBR were overwritten, so this may explain the failure to be able to use Windows.

Can you boot from the WinXP disk and reinstall over your existing WinXP OS? This should restore the MBR and allow you to at lease retrieve data from your working drives for backup purposes. This could fix the problem, but you may be looking at a reinstallation exodus.
    That doesn't quite account for the non-working Windows 98 installation, or the fact that Windows XP boots just fine until that login screen pops up. I'm kind of trying to avoid any reinstallation. I know it's the easy answer, but there's GOT to be some kind of way past that login screen. And why isn't it working under Safe Mode?

Plus I restored the MBR using my OTHER (non-linux) bootloader. So I doubt if that's where my problem lies.

I just know there's a way to get past that screen...

Well now it DEFINATELY seems like a virus... Size of files being misreported and so forth... It resembles a lot of other viruses I've seen.

I managed to get back into Windows 98, unfortunately I can't find my Windows XP disc for the LIFE of me. All I have is a backup of the cabs and executables I left on the hard drive. (Though I can't seem to find any "restore" scheme and setup doesn't acknowledge my Windows XP installation under Windows 98.)

Check your C:\Boot.ini file (you will have to allow for hidden files to be seen in control panel\folder options to look at it). It's used to boot into XP. If it is gone or has been editted so that it doesn't recognize your XP installation, that could be the problem. This is something that viruses can do.

Would you care to explain the "size of files being misreported?" That is usually caused by human error and not a virus. If you are comparing the results of right-click, properties on a drive and the results of highlighting the contents and checking the properties you will not get the same results. You will miss hidden files and it will appear as if the drive as more space than it actually does.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Check your C:\Boot.ini file (you will have to allow for hidden files to be seen in control panel\folder options to look at it). It's used to boot into XP. If it is gone or has been editted so that it doesn't recognize your XP installation, that could be the problem. This is something that viruses can do.

Would you care to explain the "size of files being misreported?" That is usually caused by human error and not a virus. If you are comparing the results of right-click, properties on a drive and the results of highlighting the contents and checking the properties you will not get the same results. You will miss hidden files and it will appear as if the drive as more space than it actually does.
    The "size of files" thing wasn't a human error, it was an error returned by scan disk while I was working on windows 98. I'm pretty sure it's a virus thing. Scan disk returned two or three file size mismatches and one case of file corruption where the begining of a file (SA.dat) was fine but the rest of the file seemed corrupted. Scandisk and the windows 98 setup disk helped me get back into windows 98, and I'm slowly working on putting it back together. All the classic signs of a virus are there. The registry was screwed, various files were tampered with... etc.

The Windows XP thing is a little trickier. I don't know if you understand but I CAN'T get into XP at all. Not safe mode, nothing. There's the WinXP boot manager, then the start-up screen with the bar, then a cursor pops up on the screen where you would normally click on your name to login... but there are no names. There's just a windowsxp logo on that blue background.

If you think it's boot.ini I'll check it out. But I'm very curious to understand what the problem is, and definitively how it might be solved.

Nevermind, it probably isn't boot.ini. If it is a virus, it's done it's damage and there is probably no easy fix but reinstall. Reinstalling might not be just the "easy" fix, it might be the only fix.

BTW, what virus protection do you use? If you don't already have a good antivirus program (updated Norton), try AVG (just Google it yourself). It's free and should deal with most viruses like this.

The disk errors were proably from the crash, not a virus, though. That would be a possible explanation for XP not working. Unless the HDD with XP and 98 on it wasn't even running at the time of the crash..

I had a similar problem. I have only one OS.. but when I got to the login screen, everything locked up. I reformatted and it worked fine..and also for antivirus, I would reccommend Panda Antivirus Platinum.

www.pandasoftware.com
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 256x2 MB DDR500
    1xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Ati Radeon 9800XT (440/780)
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

Hmm... Well I had an updated Norton Antivirus 2003 running. But I think something might have slipped through a backdoor.

Literally, step-by-step, what happened was:

1. I was online downloading something in Windows XP (IDE drive).
    2. All of a sudden my SCSI drive (the one with Linux on it that shouldn't have been doing ANYTHING at this point) starts spinning up and spinning down.
    3. Windows is still working okay. I try I few programs open a few folders, everything seems fine. Not even any slowdown. So I continue my download.
    4. I shut down the computer. It shuts down quite normally. No error messages. Nothing.
    5. I start the computer the next morning and the SCSI drive has been obliterated. It isn't even recognized by the SCSI card anymore.
    6. Consequently I couldn't boot because the Linux boot manager went down with the SCSI drive, so I simply restored the pre-linux boot manager.
    7. Windows XP's boot manager is working fine, but the windows registry file and various "Nero" files (for some odd reason) are corrupted, and Windows XP only boots to that blue screen I mentioned in both normal and safe mode.

I'm really only PARTIALLY concerned with fixing the problem. I mean, worse comes to worse, I could always just buy another hard drive (make that TWO new hard drives...) and reinstall XP. I'm more concerned with what you guys think might have happened. I mean:

1. Did my SCSI drive simply go down and take the rest of the system with it? If so, why was the Linux-only SCSI drive even running if I was in Windows XP which doesn't even recognize the partition?
    2. Is there absolutely no way (a password reset, replacing a file or two) beyond that blue login screen?
    3. Well... What the hell happened?

Well, what were you downloading? If you don't want to say, that's fine, but you won't get too far without doing so. But that's assuming it's a virus.

I suppose a virus could have done this, but not too many that do that are all that common. I have no idea why a hardware failure like that would occur, either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information