Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: burner problems

My friend is running winxp, he just got a new burner an lg 8240 but when he burns cd to cd the burned cd won't read even though no errors are reported. Burning from the harddrive is okay. he only has a 16 cdrom though could that be the problem or something else????

What software was he using? EZ CD creator, direct CD?

As a rule, the drive that is the source of the data being copied should be at least twice as fast as the burning drive. This might explain why your buddy is making coasters when he does a copy on the fly but it works flawlessly when he burns from the speedy hard drive.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Well I had a look and it seems like the LG8240 doesn't have buffer underrun prevention, this is the most likely explaination as to why the copies from CD aren't working :(

But all the burning software I have used in the past pops up an error when a buffer underrun happens :?:

I had troubles with XP and a new Ricoh burner....it wouldn't copy "copyrighted" cd's at all. Apparently there is new firmware on the newer cdrw's that identify copyrighted cd's ....i had no trouble using an older burner.... It just seemed a bit strange to me ....one of the reasons for my switch to linux.

some burners like my HP had to have a firmware update cause in xp could just not recognize it as a vaild drive. but mind u some new firmware have the built in copywrite protection :mad:

As a rule I only copy CD to CD for music, data files, etc. When I backing up my own games, OS, etc for my own legal purposes, I ALWAYS image to hard drive first and then burn to CD.....and I use CloneCD; it NEVER lets me down. I bought a new CDRW just to get NERO, but I still could not always get it to make reliable backups (certainly could have been MY fault with a bad setting somewhere).

In fact I usually save myself time by reading these type of CD's at 1X (because if you don't, your likely as not to be repeating the process all over again). Burning can be done at speeds up to your max (depending on the quality of your blank media). I've had some games choke for up to 20 minutes at 1% complete (reading errors........DO NOT CORRECT!!!!) before they finally took off and started making progress. Even so, they've taken up to 45 minutes to READ. But, I don't make coasters :)

Infielder6... everyone seems to have lost track of your question and the answer is the low speed CDrom drive. Update to 52x or there and about and your problems will be over. I speak from experience and boxes of coasters... believe me!

Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

MS released a patch for this, I think thats Mr tweak's link goes to but I couldn't get through

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information