Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows Critical Error Update: The Solution

Well let me tell you what went down...

You all already know my Story:

I'm online downloading a news clip from Kazaa in Windows XP.
    All of a sudden my SCSI drive with Linux starts spinning up and down ("Hmm... That shouldn't happen...")
    Shut down XP and when I boot back up my SCSI drive is fried and both Windows XP and Windows 98 are nuked.

So I wound up on a Blue Screen with no login icons just a Microsoft Windows XP logo

Well here's how I fixed it and my theory on what happened...

First of all my installation of WIndows XP was pre Service pack one but my XP Disc was Service pack 1. This meant that I couldn't reinstall windows using the "Repair" option. (Not to be confused with the other "R" option which is the recovery mode...)

FORTUNATELY the original Windows XP install files were still somewhere. Well ATTEMPTING to repair XP with the Service Pack 1 install disc screwed up windows but attempting a new install with that same disc (into a new directory) fixed it to the point where the repair worked using my original install. (It said "Examing hard disk" but it was actually making repairs. I won't even get into how I verified that unless someone asked.)

So I was eventually able to repair it by restarting the install process from my harddrive (under windows 98) and choosing the repair process from that install.

Now HERE's what happened to my computer.

It wasn't JUST a virus. Because too many things happened at once:

My SCSI drive was fried.
    The Administrator Account was Locked.
    My windows 98 registry was corrupted.
    Live Update of Norton Antivirus was disabled.
    Norton Antivirus PERIOD was rendered inoperable.
    My drive letters were changed somehow.

So I'm guessthing that while I was using Kazaa somebody hacked into my computer and gave me the works. (Really how they were able to change the drive letter of Windows XP without erasing the partition is beyond me...)

Well as soon as I get Norton and Live-update back up and running I'm downloading the Service Pack. This is the most HORRIBLE security-related disaster I've been involved in. (And that even after YEARS working as a system Admin...)

Fortunately there was no data loss. (Just HARDWARE LOSS. Thanks for that LOOPHOLE Bill...)

You can do a lot more from a command prompt, you just need to know the commands. :wink:

I'll let someone who has more experience with the recovery console help you with that one.

No need to make a new thread; you still have one that you could have just continued.

Quote Originally Posted by norain
    When we last left our hero he had run into a Windows XP brick wall: Big blue login screen with no login icons. Was it a virus?
    Wheres the Imagination yaq0m0th? This could eaisly be another Beergarden Game.

I can see it now The superhero vs the Villan(M$ or another virus/trojan)

Now,"Norain", heres a link for you on using theUsing Recovery feature

Quote Originally Posted by #Hashx#
    Wheres the Imagination yaq0m0th? This could eaisly be another Beergarden Game.
    This is the Windows forum, not Beefy's forums or the BG. Posts have been delted for less than this. Unfortunatrely, the mdoerators may not have sufficient power to delete posts anymore, and I think there are only two or three people with admin status anymore.. Not to mention the fact that half of them have probably stopped coming here.

My SCSI drive was fried.
    The Administrator Account was Locked.
    My windows 98 registry was corrupted.
    Live Update of Norton Antivirus was disabled.
    Norton Antivirus PERIOD was rendered inoperable.
    My drive letters were changed somehow.
    Hell of a hacker..
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 256x2 MB DDR500
    1xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Ati Radeon 9800XT (440/780)
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD