Ok, this is really starting to bug me. I have tried so many things that it will be hard to explain it all here, but I will try.

Hardware:
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 2.8 533fsb (I just got my P4 3.0 800fsb with 1mb l2 cache, not installed yet)
1 gig memory
Hercules 9700 Pro 128 ati chipset video card
SB Audigty 2 ZS
Sony DVD Reader
Sony DVD Writer dual format
2 wd 120gb 8mb cache system drives, raid 0 (240gb)
External Maxtor 250gb drive in a ADS enclosure, connected firewire on mb
External WD 250gb drive in a Oxford enclosure, connected firewire on SB card.
I also tried another external 1394 WD hd. This is a WD enclosure, purchased that way. Same errors with this drive.

I'm running XP Pro, with all the latest patches and updates. I have no viruses.
My computer runs great, except when I try to attach my external firewire drives and copy large amounts of data. When trying to copy data from one firewire device to another, I get a ton of errors in Event viewer, like
A RED Error "sbp2port The device, , did not respond within the timeout period", event 9. Another one that follows is a YELLOW Warning DISK "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation." event 51, and finaly YELLOW Warning NTFS {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere." Event 50.

These errors will repeat several times in the Event Viewer. Here is what I have already tired:

-Reinstall of XP, clean
-Replaced the drive in question with a brand new one
-replaced all firewire cables
-took the external hd's to another system, they work fine.
-tried MS site, no help.
-Changed the Policy settings so that it was set for performance, didn't help so I put it back to Optimise for removal.
-Checked for updated mb drivers, got the latest
-confirmed I have no heat issues
-test the system without the external drives, works great, no errors.
-Tried disabling the SB 1394 port and just use the mb port, didn't help.
-tried disabling the mb 1394 port, and just use the SB port, didn't help.
-I had a Gigibyte mb, 8INXP, had same errors, tried going to the ASUS, but didn't help, but I will stay with the ASUS board.

So, what's the deal with firewire and all of these errors? Is there some limit to how much external space I can have on firewire?

Does anyone know where I can go next? I need some new things to try. I'm thinking it's a software config issues, and not a hardware issue at this point, being I have replaced one drive and also purchased a new enclosure, ASP. All of my 1394 cables are either 3' or 6'.

Services running, Asus Probe, HP Office Jet, and Norton Virus. Tried turning all of these off, didn't help.

HELP!

Thanks!

Steve