Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: [WIN98 TWEAkS]

Im going to post tweaks here over the next few days. These tweaks work on my system but i cant garuntee they will work on your system. If you have any additions, changes, comments to my "tweaks" please post them so we end up with as many tweaks as we can

Here are a few simple but essential tweaks

As im sure youve been told before always get the latest drivers for all your hardware, Install Internet explorer 6(often overlooked) and defrag your hard drive regularly.

In the control panel -> go to the system aplet and then the performance tab.

- File System -> change typical role of your computer to
    Network server.

- Uncheck search for a new floppy disk drive at every boot.

- Enable write behind caching on all removeable disk drives.

- Set your virtual Memory max and min to 256mb - This
    saveswindows from constantly resizing the swap file.

In the device manager -

- enable DMA In your hard drives/ cd rom drives for a
    performance boost.

- Disable Auto insert notification on your CD-ROM drive if you
    dont want CD's to Autorun

- Expand system devices and find Direct Acces Memory
    Controller, go to properties and settings - Tick reserve DMA
    buffer and change its value to 64

In the start menu go to run and type sysedit, Open the system.ini file (can also be found in windows folder)

Add this under the [386 enh] section of your system.ini file

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

In the start menu go to run and type msconfig, under the startup tab remove any programs you dont need running in the taskbar- Eg msn/kazaa. Just make sure you dont uncheck Scanregistry, Systray

[SOFTWARE]

TWEAKUI - why the heck didnt they include this with windows?
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati.../nttweakui.asp

This program is a beast of a program created by microsoft! yes they actually made something decent this time.... There are too many tweaks to list them all here. To install Tweakui, right click the .INF file and click Install. A new applet will apear in control panel.

In the mouse tab dragg the menu speed all the way to the left- this will make menus/windows open quicker.

In the general tab disable all effects - these effects use up system resources and serve no real purpose

Under the internet explorer tab disable active desktop

Uner the network tab if you are connected to a lan network you can type in your username and password here so windows automaticly logs you on instead of you haveing to do it all manually

Under the boot section tick the disable splash screen when booting- this will stop the windows logo showing when u boot in to windows and speed up your boot time

Under paranoia you can make windows automaticly empty variouse history/temp folders at logg off and stop autoplay on cd rom drives, Thats all for TWEAKUI

FAST RESTART

C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,exitwindowsexec

Create a shortcut and with this as the target/program and you will do a quick restart - speeding up your cmputers restart time- all it is is an alternative to the standard windows restart

REGISTRY CLEANER
    [/url]http://download.com.com/3000-2094-881470.html?tag=listhttp://<br /> <br /> This program ... ADAWARE<br /> http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10...age&tag=buttonhttp://<br /> <br /> This program ...STBUSTER<br />http://www.softpedia.com/public/scripts/downloadhero/14-4-10/http://<br /> <br /> This program ...p files safely

Could be usefull if there were more ppl that used 98..
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 256x2 MB DDR500
    1xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Ati Radeon 9800XT (440/780)
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

lol win98 lives on my friend

G13man is offline Junior Member

Well , guess I'll thank you, forgot to upgrade 4in1 drivers... lol and 98[+se] will live on! in the older Komps[and this one till xp 64? / longhorn ] and linux can move in, if gates thinks Im gonna pay 150 + every 2 yrs.... he is crazy..
    and the advice is right .. even on my new rig [c profile ]
    k6-2 .and . . . AMD 64bit|3.2,1G[2326],9800xt [both died] miss my 500 K's
    recycled from the trash [and in use]
    2 = 945G chipset boards 2G Celeron and dual Pentium
    3 = AM-37 FIK motherboards 2-2.6 G
    in storage 810/815 chipset P3's 800MHZ[4setup and +? not]

glad the tweaks worked - il post a few more 2 morrow

Night all

I'd have to agree with most of that, however:

Quote Originally Posted by guybergman
    - Set your virtual Memory max and min to 256mb - This
    saveswindows from constantly resizing the swap file.
    Unless you have a lot of RAM, you could see more crashes. Even with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by guyberman
    ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
    For comparison's sake I guess I'll try it, but it doesn't look like something I'd use to increase stability..

thanks for pointing that out

IF have 512 megs of ram its sensible to use as your hard drive is much slower than system ram - to be safe and get extra performance defrag your hard drive before your create the swap file.

Scandisk and Defrag should be regurly run to speed up the disk performance- especially on machines that dont get formatted often

I try to keep at least a GB of memory between RAM and PF for stability, but there will likely be a performance boost from having a smaller page file. Plus, you can use a program such as RAMBooster or Cacheman to free memory when neccesary, although that becomes a problem when gaming (you don't want to leave programs running while gaming.

Anyway, one thing that is more important than just about any tweak is replacing missing driver files (mainly .vxd). Because of the way Windows 98/98SE was designed, many drivers will be missing after completing an install. This may even have been done intentionally by Microsoft to get us to pay them for fixing Windows installations. In any case, it is a problem that can be fixed. I'll explain how to do so:

Before you replace the driver files, first you need to get a hold of them. Pop in your Windows 98SE CD. After doing that, copy all of the .cab files from your Windows 98/98SE CD into a folder. I'm not sure which ones have the files you need, and what files you need can vary, so it's best to get all of them. After you finish copying them, use 7-zip or Winrar to extract all of them (preferably to the same folder). Upon completion, you're ready to start stabalizing Windows.

Go to Start, Settings, Conrtol Panel, System, Device Manager. Start off by expanding Mouse and double-clicking your mouse's entry (choose one of them if you have multiple mice). From there, click Drivers, then click Driver File Details. You will most likely see (unless Windows is installed on a partition labeled something other than C)C:\Windows\System\vmm32.vxd(ntkern.vxd). These parenthesis signify that a file is missing. Either look manually through your extracted cabs or run a search for Ntkern.vxd. When you find it, place it in your C:\Windows\System folder. Some files(such as the one we just found) will be listed under vmm32.vxd rather than a directory. Just put them in the C:\Windows\System folder (just like you just did with ntkern.vxd). Normally, you would just put the missing file right in the directory it belongs. That's all you have to do to replace a missing driver file.
    Do this method for every device you have. Most either won't have a problem or will share a missing driver with another device, so it shouldn't take that long. If you can't find a file, it's possible that it isn't a file that comes with Windows 98. Video card drivers would be a good example. Whatever the hardware is, go to the manufacturer's web site (Google it if you need to ) and download updated drivers. If you have a pre-built system, go to your system's manufacturer's web site to get drivers. If you can't find anything at all, checking your spelling wouldn't be a bad idea. It's also possible that the missing file is unimportant and not needed. Files with .vxd extension (Virtual Device Drivers) are pretty much the only ones that will really make a difference.

After you do all this, you will have greatly stabalized your system. The only thing you can do past that and some of the already-listed tweaks is to replace Explorer with another shell. Because Explorer is buggy, it can cause lots of stability problem. In addition, because of its large size (12MB, off the top of my head), it can also be slower than a third-party shell. You can search online on your own, but I suggest getting Aston Shell from www.astonshell.com. Personally, I don't think the interface is much better, but I have seen noticable speed and stability increases on systems I have put it on. I would highly recommend it.

Well, that's enough out of me. I'll wait and see if guybergman has anything more to add.

Thats all correct and very useful, i ussually do this tweak to my system, it definetly works people and Yawgm0th explains it perfectly

Cheers

if we get enough tweaks would anyone be interested in working with me to make a website documenting as many tweaks as we can?

G13man is offline Junior Member

and we can edit the links to other sites occasionnally ,
    k6-2 .and . . . AMD 64bit|3.2,1G[2326],9800xt [both died] miss my 500 K's
    recycled from the trash [and in use]
    2 = 945G chipset boards 2G Celeron and dual Pentium
    3 = AM-37 FIK motherboards 2-2.6 G
    in storage 810/815 chipset P3's 800MHZ[4setup and +? not]

Thread Information