Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: NotePad problems

Hi all, here is my problem, don't know why my notepad cannot open. The notepad icon change to a blank-window icon, and when i click on it, nothing happen, and I try to open it in the run command, cannot open, too.
    This is the second time I encounter this problem. When it occured the first time, I format my computer, so now it is second time, don't know why it happens again! Any help is much appreciated.
    My bro install the Dev-C++, don't know this will affect it or not?

update your virus signature files and try a virus scan there are several known viruses that replace notepad.exe

if you don't have a virus scanner installed try an online one. any of the following should do a decent job.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php

http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

if you have another system which has a working notepad.exe file [same operating system] copy it from that system to your PC, just overwrite the one that won't launch.

Thank for your help, and I found out actually the notepad.exe is in system32 right? But inside the one is also a blank_window icon, and I discovered a notepad in the windows file, so I copy that and paste it in the system32 there, got it!!!
    But i still don't know why this would happen? Why the notepad will jump out to the windows directory there? And the one should be inside the system32 directory became a blank_window icon file that cannot be executed. Would you mind to explain it to me?
    I have told you that my bro has installed the Dev-C++, is that installation affected the incident happen?
    Sorry, my english is not good, I'm from Malaysia.

I had that same problem. I tried opening something with notepad..and I got a "Windows cannt Locate FIle" thing, and I browsed for it and found the notepad.exe in the main Windows folder.. dono what was up with that either..
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 256x2 MB DDR500
    1xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Ati Radeon 9800XT (440/780)
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

Yeah, that's the point. So, any moderator here can help us? Explain what's goin on. Haha...look like I'm ordering moderators, sorry if I'm impolite.

There's only one active moderator here, but you don't need one to explain....

There are two likely explanations:
    You had/have a virus of some sort that moved it or you moved it yourself and forgot.
    It also could have been a very strange bug in Windows, but I wouldn't count on that.
    Of the antivirus programs listed here, some are good, but none have the definitions of as many viruses as AVG . Most would probably agree that if your going with a free antivirus program, AVG is the best. Get it at www.grisoft.com.
    For online scans, Symantec is probably better than all of them.

Em..alright, thatnk you anyway, but I didn't move the file because that happened after I formatted my computer. Anyway, is AVG really a good one? I'm using the eTrust EZ Anitvirus now, before that, i used AVG free edition, and for quite a long time, but everytime after i scaning my computer, it said that no virus found, but when i scanned online--Symantec online scan, they searched out some viruses and trojans...quite weird, perhaps, free is not as good as pay. The eTrust EZ Antivirus is come with the windows XP update disc that microsoft send to me, any commend about this antivirus?

I'm pretty sure I've never heard of it...
    AVG is good if you keep it updated. However, when push comes to shove, a program simply cannot totally stop all viruses from infecting your system. Some care on your part is necessary. Regularly checking what programs run at startup is always a good idea.
    The best Antivirus program I have used to date is Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition. Beats the **** out of regular Norton and AVG (and all other AV programs), in my opinion. However, unbless you are very wealthy, work for a company that has a license, or get a pirated version, you won't be getting that.
    AVG free should be good for the vast majority of all users. As I said, no matter what some participation on the user's/administrator's part is going to be necessary.

Thread Information