Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Disapering CD roms

Right well the problem is this..............i installed Xp yesterday wow great..........problem is i installed Cdrwin version 5 and suddenly it found i have another cd rom which i hadn't ?? a szui stimulation something or other..weird i thought so i uninstalled the cdrwin and re booted it went............so i installed cdrwin version 4Beta....low and behold my cd rom drives went with it...no i cannot get them to be recognised by windows at all...I have tried to delete them and once it actually found them but when i got to look at properties it says file corrupt or missing.
    Anyone out there any clues ???
    Please e-mail me direct cos I want my Cd's :((

Soulsdream@hotmail.com
    Thanks Mel

Goldenhawk (the makers of CDRWin) have publicly denied that that release of CDRWin5 doing the rounds on those naughty sites is legit.

So for one, the program isnt really the program, who knows what it is. Seeing as its installed a virtual cdrom device, its sounding like a proggy like insektors or daemon tools, but like I said- no idea.

i have had cdroms dissapear on xp before, reformat and reinstall xp got them back

Beefy Guest

the fun way to do things.... :) that'll teach you for using dodgy software...

You might wanna try this too:

1. Uninstall the program. ("cdrwin 5.0")

2. Restart.

3. Check to see if the virtual cdrom device is still in your device manager.

4. If it is, then you need to delete/uninstall it. Right click it and select uninstall. restart. stop reading if everything is all good.
    send me some money.

5. If the virtual device wasnt there, but you still have no cdroms, then get properties of your phantom cdroms and click the drivers tab. write down the names of the vxds or dlls that arent written by microsoft and dont have the little signed driver icon next to them.

6. Find those files in your windows directory. Delete the system files.
    Somewhere deep in the bowels of your registry is a registry entry called 'LowerFilters'
    Its values should have the names of those system files you saw back in step 5. delete the values that match with those found in step 5.
    Oh, If you havnt made a backup of important data, then i guess you should. if you really want, rar the files up somewhere. Just dont have them files in the windows directory anywhere. You can export the registry key for safekeeping as well before you delete him.

7. Uninstall the cdrom drive(s) from your device manager and again make sure those system dont files magically reappear. (stupid windows file protection). Restart as soon as you see them files go bye-bye.

8. Windows SHOULD re-detect the cdrom(s) and install fresh drivers not tainted by 'cdrwin5'
    If those cdrwin5 drivers are still there, then you gotta go looking thru the registry some more.

I have this problem with roxio easy coaster....err, i mean cd creator. It chucks tonnes of bs filesystem drivers on EVERY one of my cdrom drives, reguardless of it being a burner or not and totally screws things up because nero and clonecd also have special drivers there as well. atm i have a quater of roxio cd creater installed. a few of the program files, those stupid dlls and some of the registry entries were left over from the uninstall process. If i go chopping at them with a machete and get rid of them my cdroms go into la-la land and not even the steps i put up above get me out.
    i hafta reinstall easy cd, watch it crash out and leave **** all over me hdd and then get nero, clonecd and every other friggen burning software on earth to work again.

die roxio mofos

have fun

Now let's seeeeee....... hmmmmmmm i know this problem..

Has it been their done that.

Simple goto start goto accesories and i think somwhere in their is system restore go back to before you install CDRwin5...

Now when its done... it will reboot and u will find your cd roms back let's say i found out with CloneCD... Xp doesnt like some software and completly loses the cdroms...

Well look on the bright side u dont have latest software and no hardware ;)

You got both :)

Sammy
    Programmers Love games
    Just like Meh! :D

make sure you back up your files first, system restore will remove any files you have created since the restore point. it done it to me once, i had to undo the restore to get the files back then redo the restore after i backed em up to a drive thats not being monitored

Thread Information