Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Pro Install Problems.

i thought it was the CD as well... however I used these CD multiple times on many other PC's.

this is more frustrating then usuall :?

No kidding.... Does the install simply fail, or will it work if you start skipping files. I've had XP Pro installations fail on a couple files and work without any problems.

it asks if i want to retry the install of the file, i hit enter a few times and it will go thru... then a few seconds later another file appears... same thing... after a few tries some will contine... but then they wont install... so i start skipping file after file... and then nothing, XP cannot continue install. :roll:

dammit, i take the Zip drive out and the Shell32.dll file installs!
    but now it has problems copying other files.

there is'nt any other hardware that I can take out... thoughts?

Your IDE channel could be fried....

If you can install other oss, I doubt that it is a problem with ide components. I too have seen this happen with ram problems. Look in your bios and see if there is a "failsafe default" setting. If there is, select it and save, then try again. This is a collection of low performance settings that may allow any faulty hardware to operate below the threshhold of performance that generates errors. While not a cure for the problem, a workaround might be to reformat the drive to fat32, use a 98 boot disk with xcopy32.exe on it to copy the entire contents of the cd to the hd. Make a directory called xpcd or some such to copy it to. You can then boot from the fd (boot disk set for xp available at http://www.bootdisk.com/) and install from the hd. I would guess though that if it is not ram related, one of the initial drivers that xp loads doesn't get along with some piece of hardware.

I had the same problem. It was a tiny scratch on the cd. I made a backup copy of my XP pro cd and used it and it worked fine. Oh and by the way at the time I used a IDE 40 cable. but now use IDE 100, so its should be nothing to do with the harddrive whatsoever.

yes i tried 2 diffrent 100 cable... still the same thing.
    also tried 3 diffrent XP Pro CD's i got from diffrent people... still the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Integraoligist
    also tried 3 diffrent XP Pro CD's i got from diffrent people... still the same problem.
    Hey Integraoligist

I'm new to this forum, and I have the same exact Problem with XP Pro install. Did you correct your problem? Question what motherboard are
    you using? and ide, sata or raid install? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

SF

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFans
    Quote Originally Posted by Integraoligist
    Hey Integraoligist

I'm new to this forum, and I have the same exact Problem with XP Pro install. Did you correct your problem? Question what motherboard are
    you using? and ide, sata or raid install? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

SF

PS. here's Memtest86 link: http://www.memtest86.com/

Ok it was my DDR Ram, 1 of the 2 stick failed badly after test with memetest86. After much research these unsuccessful XP Install
    ("could not copy files") are symtoms of bad Ram. Now home waiting for
    my new Ram to arrive.

will update,

SF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information