Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: System volume loses free space

have a Dell Dimension 8300 system running Windows XP Professional where the system (boot) drive constantly loses space. This drive is 19GB and after booting has 16GB free. This drive is only used for system files, Windows and those things that insist on installing there. Programs are on a different drive. Swap file, temp files and print spooler are all on a different drive. Running disk cleanup only shows a small amount of space that can be freed up.

I previously had a Dell Dimension 4600 system with a similar configuration that did not have this problem.

I find now that over a 24 hour period, this drive will go from 16GB free to under 300MB free.

I have run virus scans and the system is clean. I tried turning off System Restore, but that didn't make a difference. I used a program that shows total sizes of all folders to compare folder (and file) sizes after a reboot, and later on.

I found that from yesterday afternoon when I booted and had 16GB free to this morning when I was down to 299MB free, there was NO significant change in size of any folders or files. Obviously whatever is causing this is hidden (and not a hidden file or folder, I have those displayed).

Does anyone have any clues as to what to look for? Thanks.

Are you sure you have hidden and system files set to be shown (go to control panel\folder options)? Many people have come here with this problem and we've wasted time helping them because they were too stupid to realize that they couldn't see all their files, despite the fact that we told them.

A good way to tell would be to open up the drive in Explorer, Properties it for size, and compare that size with the size reported from clicking Properties on the icon for the drive in my computer.

If you can't figure it out, try using SequoiaView from http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

It's a very useful tool for figuring out where your space is going. Look at it when you lack space and see where most of the space is. Then look at it when you have the space and see what isn't as big. That should tell you where all of your space is going.

Thanks. Yes, I certainly have hidden and system files showing. And yes, Explorer and My Computer properties show the same thing for free space.

I haven't tried SequoiaView, but I've been using a program called ExplorerXP to help me see the total size of each folder and file.

01001101 Guest

I would highly recommend you use SequoiaView; it's an excent piece of freeware. It will imediately and visually show you exactly what is taking up the disk space.

Thanks to someone in the Anandtech.com Tech Support Forum, I've found the problem.

It was a misconfigured BootVis (Microsoft's optimization tool). Its trace had obviously been interrupted so that it never properly finished and was constantly running and and accummulating data. Once its tracing was stopped, the problem was fixed.

Thank you for your help.

Thread Information