Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP Pro to XP Home

Hi,

Does anyone know how to alter an XP install so that the disk reads as an XP Home Edition? I've got a (legal) copy of XP Pro, but am interested in trying the home version as Pro chokes on my system.

I've recently read somewhere that the code for all Editions (Home, Pro, Full Install, Upgrade, etc.) are inbuilt into the install disk and with a little tweaking can be made to install in either format.

Many thanks :)

Some specs on your current system would help, since there is very little difference between Pro and Home as far as being an OS. Pro just has a little more advance networking stuff.
    In other words, I think that even if you had Home, you would still have a "choking" problem
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

Yeah, XP home won't run any faster than Pro

01001101 Guest

as far as performace goes, XP Home and Pro are identical. To downgrade to Home would be a shame. Pro is just a (much) more useful version of Home; you would be doing yourself a disservice to even attempt to make your current install like XP Home.

If XP is killing your performance, then perhaps it isn't XP at all, but an over abundance of start-up applications and assorted bloat. Perhaps some real tweaking is in order? Or maybe your hardware is inefficent to support your OS of choice? Either way, so more information from you is required for us to be of any futher assistance.

Like everyone esle said your computer specs would help alot. Also you may want to try the WinXP tweakting guide: Reformat to Relax in the windows section

Hmm... ive got XP Home. Is there any way of changing the install to XP Pro by doing something in the registry or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidturtle
    Hmm... ive got XP Home. Is there any way of changing the install to XP Pro by doing something in the registry or something?
    The only way to change it is to use an XP Pro CD and upgrade your installation.

Ok cool. Ill try that.

01001101 Guest

there is actually a better way. there is a little piece of software floating around the net that will unlock all the features in XP Home that will make it (almost) XP Pro. Although, there will still be a few things that will need to be copied over from a real XP Pro machine. However, due to some of the warnings in this forum I don't feel that it would be appropriate for me to give the name or location of this little utility. You know it exists now, and that's all I'll say about it ;)

Thread Information