Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP Pro partition question!

hey guys! I'm thinking about formating and reloading my XO Pro, is it best to put it on it's own partition or just throw everything on one drive without partitioning? and how big should the windows partition be? I've got a 60Gb drive. What are the benifit's of running windows in it's own partition?

thanks!
    64/3500+ | Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 | Gainy 6800 GS golden sample using 71.20 and DX 90c| 1Gb Geil PC3200 | WD 120Gb 7200rpm 8mb buffer | XP Pro + SP1 | Pioneer DVD burner dual layer | Antec 480 watt truepower wrapped in a Enermax 710B case | Dell 21" Trinitron.....etc

I wrote a guide a while ago that will help you. You can find it here:
    http://www.geocities.com/ptilsen/windows_guide.html

It's somewhat lengthy and some people will disagree with my views on formatting. You can just go ahead and follow it, or wait for some other people to post. My :2cents: should pretty much be covered in it.

Without reading through the entire guide posted above, I generally allow a 15GB partition for the OS and Office-type applications and leave the rest of the drive as another partition. This allows me to save important files and save game info on a different partition so it is still intact when you eventually have to reformat the C drive and reinstall Windows.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I'd have to agree with that (and do in the guide). But where I do go more in-depth is file systems. Having three partitions can be good. I like one for OS, one for applications, and one for various files. I go more in-depth in the guide, if you care to read it (now that I look at it, it's actually not that long if you only read the formatting section).

thanks guys! I think I'll go with a 10Gb partition for XP aand leave the rest for apps/games. I have a 512mb USB stick that I use for docs/files.
    64/3500+ | Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 | Gainy 6800 GS golden sample using 71.20 and DX 90c| 1Gb Geil PC3200 | WD 120Gb 7200rpm 8mb buffer | XP Pro + SP1 | Pioneer DVD burner dual layer | Antec 480 watt truepower wrapped in a Enermax 710B case | Dell 21" Trinitron.....etc

Sounds good, although I would want a seperate partition for files if I had a lot of music, movies etc. but if that's not the case...

There's also the issue of file system...

Just skip to the end of the first section in the guide. I updated it so it makes some friggin sense (I wrote it and couldn't make heads or tails of some parts when I reread it).

I always doing a 2 partition setup with 10GB C: drive for XP Pro and Office then the rest as D: partition for everything else (folders are all that's needed for data, games, music, etc,... ).

just 1 more quation! now when my desktop comes up after booting my "my computer" windows opens up? any idea why?

Thread Information