Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Changing XP Home Key - Legitamite Purposes

Hi
    Im at work. There is a cutomer here with an illegitamite copy of XP Home. How it was activated i've no idea. Anyway, i can't upgrade to SP1 w/o a legit copy, and there is no way im letting an illegitamite OS leave this store, no matter if I installed it or not. So, I just ordered a new copy, and would like to change over from the pirated to the legitamite w/o taking too much time away from the 8 other systems on this bench. Anyone know how to change a XP HOME (not pro, the cd key changer once hosted on this site, and now on file sharing networks is only for PRO) key w/o having to do a repair install. Say, in regedit? OK time to go back to work, let me know...

I'm just about positive there's no registry key to change. The key changer wouldn't have been created if there were a simple registry change available.

It's probably best to do a fresh install. Just do it without reformatting if the customer wants his/her files. You could even backup the registry to make sure any installed programs continue to work.

Of course, you could also do some searches (crackspider.net and google.com) to see if you can find a program that will change keys, but I'll let you worry about that... ;)

I Am Not A Geek just posted an article covering this theme.
    http://iamnotageek.com/articles.php?...1&topic=XP_key

I haven't played with it so can't verify its accuracy, but it is a place to start. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

google something called RockXP it can be used to find out your curent CD key and change it to something else. it can also be used to find lost passwords but it doesn't do that nearly as well..

Thread Information