Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: *HELP install compatibility for DX9 on XP pro* LOOK

hi im new to the forum but anyways. im trying to install DX9 on XP pro and it tells me it isnt compatible with windows even though it clearly is (since i d/led it from microsoft.com and it came on the driver disc of my video card). i think its a problem in my registry but im not sure which key in there has a flawed setting. please help promptly

Instead of trying to load the SDK developers version of DirectX 9, why not just utilize the Windows Update to handle the task? It could be something as simple as a botched download and file corruption or it could be something else entirely, but the Windows Update will be able to load the proper version for your OS. I have used that on all my machines and it has worked flawlessly on all of them.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

even the windows update version doesnt work. i cant even install most of the files on windows update cuz of the same exact problem

Then you have likely corrupted some of the system files within Windows. You can either try going into the recovery console with your WinXP disk and fix the problem there or reinstall the OS over the existing copy. Either methods would come with a strong recommendation to back up any critical data first. Or you could just reinstall the OS from scratch and go from there.

The above statement takes for granted you've had no problems with component/Windows compatibility in the past. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Try listing the exact wording of the error. I agree that if the update install doesn't work either, Windows has problems. A good download should work too. I keep all the latest versions of it on a cd, and have loaded it on many machines that way.

the cd verison of dx9 doesnt work either (i have it on like 6 different cds which all dont work)

i think it was something i did in the tweak guide. can anyone tell me what tweak i could of done that might do this

It's possible you turned off a necessary service. But you'll have to post the exact error message...

Thread Information