Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Xp Pro Product Key error

Unhappy Xp Pro Product Key error

Having recently bought a new PC with XP installed I didn't get a master CD with XP along with my PC. I have contacted my point of purchase about this and lets just say they are being less than generous with replies. I have not got the Service Pack 1 installed and want it for added security and I also need this to enable me to run a big drive enabler so XP recognizes the full-size of my 2nd HDD. Running Windows Update it tells me (as I'm sure you know) that I need a valid product key to enable this update. Any way round this?

Default Re: Xp Pro Product Key error

Quote Originally Posted by John-boy
    Any way round this?
    Not legally, no... however...

When you purchase a complete system with an OS installed, the manufacturer (even a home builder) is required to give you licensing information for that OS. It is common for system builders to try to raise their profit margin by not giving you the OS media, but the license is a requirement. This licensing information will give you the required data needed to reactivate your OS after a reinstall.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I have found that if you swap your hardware around too much, XP invalidates the license.

If you buy your computer from a leading company such as PC world, you are sure to get a license sticker either on your machine, or on a backup disk, or they will simply provide you with a fully working OEM license.

Check the serial number to see if it is an OEM serial. If so, there shouldn't be a problem unless MS decided to blacklist the key for some reason.

It is also perfectly possible that the vendor gave you an illegal serial number bundled with your machine.

You could always go ahead and contact MS If you really wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by bash$
    You could always go ahead and contact MS If you really wanted to.
    that's actually a pretty simple process. i've had to do it for a number of clients and it has always gone off without a hitch. That is, of course, assuming you are using a legit copy.

If not, then stop ripping off Mr G and install Linux! :D
    #

Thread Information