Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to reinstall ATAPI driver

Default How to reinstall ATAPI driver

I think the file of the Windows XP Pro standard ATAPI driver is damaged on my PC.

I want to install and MSI DR8-A2 DVD burner and Windows finds it, but when installing it thought the Add New Hardware wizard I get a code 39 error.

I installed the same DVD burner on another PC and it works fine. I also tried to boot my PC from this DVD burner and it boots fine and the Windows installer runs normally, so I'm pretty sure that the driver is damaged on Windows.

I already tried to install this driver from the CDs that came with the DVD burner, but it only comes with the Nero software, and the manual states that the unit works with standard ATAPI drivers.

How can I reinstall this driver without doing a complete Windows reinstall?
    Last edited by gaviota; 08-06-2004 at 11:18 AM.
    It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.

Default Re: How to reinstall ATAPI driver

Tell us how you setup the IDE channels (what's masters and slaves of each) plus how many and what external devices you have connected if any.

The specs list is long, but here it goes:

Motherboard: Asus PC-DL Deluxe (BIOS revision 1003)
    RAM: 4 x 512 MB Corsair CMX512-2700C2PT
    CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon 3.06 Ghz 533 FSB 512 KB Cache
    Video card: Sapphire (powered by ATI) 128 MB Radeon 9800 Pro
    TV-Tuner: MSI TV-@nywhere Master
    Power supply: Enermax 465P-VE-24P
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 1 and all the latest updates.

Disks:
    1 x 36 GB Seagate Cheetah 15K.3 (Boot/Operating System disk on an LSI Logic U160 SCSI controller)
    1 x 120 GB Western Digital Special Edition (set as master on IDE primary IDE port)
    1 x 250 GB Western Digital Special Edition (set as slave on primary IDE port)
    1 x MSI MS-DR8-A2 DVD burner (set as master on secondary IDE port)
    Slave on secondary IDE port is empty
    2 x 80 GB Maxtor D740X on IDE port of onboard Promise RAID controller
    2 x 250 GB Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 on SATA ports of onbard Promise RAID controller

External Devices:
    Wireless Genius USB keyboard and optical mouse
    Samsung SyncMaster 1100p Plus 21" CRT monitor
    HP LaserJet 1300 (connected to USB port)
    HP ScanJet 3400C (connected to USB port)
    Genius K-08 Gamepad (connected to game port)
    Logitech Formula GP steering wheel (connected to USB port)

Workstation is mainly used for video editing, so the DVD burner is an essential component. Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by gaviota; 08-07-2004 at 04:59 AM.
    It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.

In your case I'd hazard a guess that XP is having trouble finding enough free IRQ's available with all the hardware you have.
    Can you take and post a screenshot of the Device Manager showing your devices by IRQ?

Thread Information