Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: NTLDR missing???

1. Default NTLDR missing???

So I opend up a .exe file. Then my computer restarts on me. Now instead of my precious windows xp. I get a "NTLDR missing. Press ctrl alt delete to restart". I did hapen to have a NTFS boot disk in one of my cdrom drives. (but not the first bood device). even after taking it out I get the same msg. Any clue on what I can do? If I cant salvage windows I should be able to hook up the hardd rive to another computer and just swap my important filles, right?
    Much thx.
    my view on the two party system...
    [img]http://www.dennisf.com/images/****banner.jpg[/img]

Default Re: NTLDR missing???

It sounds to me liek something is wrong wiht the bootloader, You could just repair windows and not lose any files.

3. Talking Re: NTLDR missing???

OK I FIXED it. Here is how incase anyone else has the problem.
    Turn off computer and unplug then replug the ide cables from the main HD.
    Put your windows boot cd in.
    Run the repair.
    Press 1 then enter.
    next you should see something like c:/windows cmd prompt.
    type copy d:\i386\ntldr c: (what ever drive ur boot cd is in)
    type copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com c:
    type cd .. to get to the root directory or just type systemroot
    type fixboot
    type exit

By running an EXE you may have unleashed a trojan or virus. They love to delete boot files. I recomened getting a "real-time" virus scanner which checks files before they are executed. The AntiVir Personal Edition is an execelent program which doesnt eat system resources. Stay away from Norton products if you value your computers speed!
    AMD XP2500+ (2.3GHz, 'barton'), Abit NF7-Srev2 mobo, 2x 256mb PC2700 (crucial memory), nVidia GeForce 4 128mb, 80gb Western Digital ATA-133, 40gb Maxtor ATA-100, BTC 52x32x16 CD/RW and half a dozen fans!

for the record, unpluging then repluging an IDE cable doesnt do anything!. You should need to open your computer up unless you feel like clearing the CMOS data :)
    AMD XP2500+ (2.3GHz, 'barton'), Abit NF7-Srev2 mobo, 2x 256mb PC2700 (crucial memory), nVidia GeForce 4 128mb, 80gb Western Digital ATA-133, 40gb Maxtor ATA-100, BTC 52x32x16 CD/RW and half a dozen fans!

6. Default Re: NTLDR missing???

I have heard many bad things about realtime protection and I was running just fine on norton anti virus with realtime disabled. This actualy hapend a few days after I decided to re-enable the realtime protection. Norton didnt catch it. And the reason for reconnecting ide cables is because the most common boot problems are caused by loose connections =D

I am also having problems with NTLDR missing alerts. However after I have repaired the problem using the repair function my computer restarts and works fine, but, when I restart the computer, without doing any work, the NTLDR missing alert comes back and the computer will not start until I carry out the repair again. This happens without fail unless I start up with the Windows disc in the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by toffeeman
    I am also having problems with NTLDR missing alerts. However after I have repaired the problem using the repair function my computer restarts and works fine, but, when I restart the computer, without doing any work, the NTLDR missing alert comes back and the computer will not start until I carry out the repair again. This happens without fail unless I start up with the Windows disc in the drive.
    Sounds to me like you've got yourself a virus that's deleting the NT boot loader. This will continue to happen unless you remove it.

Thread Information