Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using IIS to host a personal website help!

Default Re: Using IIS to host a personal website help!

No... I said, you have to use your actual IP for the domain, not the network IP. With the netowrk Ip, it would only work on other machines on the network.

Default Re: Using IIS to host a personal website help!

It's not really a 'domain' as such... but yeah, what he said. I'll see if I can explain it a little better.

In your little home network, there's two 'areas', so to speak. There's all the internal network area, which will have the 192.168.x.x IP range, then there's the external network area, which will be the IP assigned to you by your ISP.

When you set up the webserver, you'll be able to access it internally by using the machine's IP address or computer name (example: 192.168.0.2 or webserver). However, anyone that tries to get to the server will need to enter your external IP address. It's then the router's job (with port forwarding) to take those requests and pass them onto your webserver.

So all you need to do is set up the server, test it out on your network (by using the 192.168.x.x IP address). Then, when it's ready, set up DynDNS to your external IP, set your router to forward all traffic on port 80 to your server, and you'll be set. One thing though, trying to test the DynDNS address from your own network may not work. It's better to get someone else to try it for you. ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information