Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Icons Reapearing in XP Prof

Question Desktop Icons Reappearing in XP Prof

Hi Guys and Girls

I am running windows xp professional with SP2 on my pc and have a wierd issue with my desktop icons.

Everytime i remove them from my desktop, they re-appear sometime later. This is also occuring with icons set on my toolbar, the items get removed then a week later they re-appear. I have even tried creating a new profile but the same problem is occuring.

Any suggestions on how to remove these for good would be appreciated.

Steelyb
    Last edited by Steelyb; 09-13-2004 at 08:38 PM.

Default Re: Icons Reapearing in XP Prof

Properly restart after doing so.

Hi

Thanks for your advice but the machine has been restarted several times after icons (and files) on the desktop were removed. The items on the desktop still reappeared.

Steelyb

It's likely that you have spyware if certain icons are reappearing. Get Ad-Aware from my signature and run it.

we normaly run adware and spyware removal tools every week, but did go through this pc again using spybot and hijack this. but files and icons deleated of the desktop are still reappearing. Oh and just a further comment the files and icons i am trying to remove are ones we placed there in the first place and not miscellaneous ones.

Alec
    Last edited by Steelyb; 09-21-2004 at 06:37 PM.

I guess you could try RegCleaner in my signature. If it's really annoying, you could create a batch file that runs at startup and deletes specific icons, but that would be a rediculous way of solving what shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Also, what icons are these specifically? Sometimes, programs might try to restore their own icons if deleted (but like I said, that's usually the behavior of spyware programs and viruses).

Finally figured this one out, took quite a bit of tweaking lol

The icons kept on reappearing to the point there was 100's of icons on the desktop lol, was almost about to rebuild the PC lol

What you do is this, create a new user name (with admin rights). then log on as the administrator, then copy the new user account over the top of the existing account ( barring the user.dat files etc.. ).

Once you log back in and delete the icons, they stop coming back! yes!!! so it must be profile corruption of some sort, but deleting and recreating your profile does not work, for some odd reason ( maybe the problem is in the default profile aswell ), you must make a new profile and copy it over the old, it makes no sense, but it does work.

Gary

Thread Information