Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: whats comes after when a computer is built?

Default whats comes after when a computer is built?

what about software?

what windows do you guys recommened?

i am total newb.

plz help.

thanks!
    Last edited by altangerel20; 09-26-2004 at 10:28 AM.

Default Re: whats comes after when a computer is built?

You install your operating system. It's probably best that you use Windows XP. If you don't own a copy of any version of Windows (anything from 98 on up will do if you don't have XP), you'll have to buy one.

We can walk you through the installation and such when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    You install your operating system. It's probably best that you use Windows XP. If you don't own a copy of any version of Windows (anything from 98 on up will do if you don't have XP), you'll have to buy one.

We can walk you through the installation and such when you get it.
    okay so, how much is it for an XP? i have the upgrade verson of the XP home edition. but i need a full version since i am building a new computer right?

If you have an earlier Windows, you don't need another copy. But if you've used that copy on another machine and will continue using it, then you do need another copy.

If I remember, an OEM (you can only legally install on one PC) version of Home will cost a bit under $90, while an OEM version of Pro will go for around $140. There might be better prices than that, somewhere. A full retail version, which you can legally install on different PCs (just more than one at the same time), will cost over $200 for both, or somewhere around there. I'd just stick with an OEM copy, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    If you have an earlier Windows, you don't need another copy. But if you've used that copy on another machine and will continue using it, then you do need another copy.

If I remember, an OEM (you can only legally install on one PC) version of Home will cost a bit under $90, while an OEM version of Pro will go for around $140. There might be better prices than that, somewhere. A full retail version, which you can legally install on different PCs (just more than one at the same time), will cost over $200 for both, or somewhere around there. I'd just stick with an OEM copy, personally.
    okay i am a little confused, arent there 2 different versions of each OEM and Retail? for instance windows XP OEM have Full and the Upgrade versions. and vise versa for the Retail right?

Correct. An upgrade version won't do unless you have an older version of Windows lying around, in which case you hardly need XP (unless it's ME, or something below 98).

okay, so you said you would recommend windows OEM right? but which version? full or upgrade? and would this be HOME or PRO?

thank you!

You should be able to figure out whether you need upgrade or full by now...

Home would probably be best for you, although I personally love the features of Pro.

cool thank you

Thread Information