Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD_POOL_HEADER + DVD Death

Default BAD_POOL_HEADER + DVD Death

Alright, I have a few problems with my comp.
    Config:
    P3 866Mhz
    256 SDRAM
    KOB 810e FSFx motherboard
    Nvidia GeForce 4 420 MX

1) When i boot, I get a BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD.
    I saw the other post with this problem, and i don't think it's any of the problems-
    ::Your PSU is supplying too much or too little power.::
    What's a PSU??
    ::Your ram is defective::
    No way! My RAM is really OLD, but its okay!I'm using my comp right now.If i press F8 at boot up and choose "Last Known Good Configuartion", everything goes fine!
    ::One of your ram slots on the Motherboard is defective, so not only try one memory stick on its own, try it in different slots too!::
    ^See above
    ::what rating is your PSU and did you check the Event Viewer for red flagged errors under System and Applications::
    Dunno what PSU is, and Event Viewer Stuff...I get this in Application:
    --------------------------
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1517
    Date: 12/6/2004
    Time: 6:17:22 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: OGGY
    Description:
    Windows saved user OGGY\Srikanth registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.
    ----------------------
    Its a warning so I don't think it's very important.

In system i get:

---------------------------
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event ID: 7023
    Time: 6:34:09 PM
    User: N/A
    Description:
    The System Restore Service service terminated with the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

-----------------------
    I don't think these are related in anyway.
    Anyway, the BAD_Pool_Header error does't come when i choose last known good configuration. But I want to solve the problem.

Next problem!my DVD drive isn't getting detected by Windows.It is detected by BIOS and POST but not windows.O.o Its not a channel problem, because i have a CD-writer which works fine on the channel. I tried putting the DVD as Master, Slave, alone on a channel, tried changing cables, and...uninstalled the secondary channel and reboot... ...what else? I forgot...
    Anyway, I have a Samsung "DVD Master 12E Model SD-612" and it's been working fine for 3 years and it suddenly vanishes. I'm totally stumped.Thanks for having the patience to read through and helping me out...

--EDIT--
    Okay, i forgot, I also got this in my event viewer in System:

----------------------
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Save Dump
    Event ID: 1001
    Time: 6:21:53 PM
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xe25adab0, 0xe25adb18, 0x0c0d040f). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120604-03.dmp.
    ----------------------

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Save Dump
    Event ID: 1001
    Time: 6:24:34 PM
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0xe25af068, 0x00000001, 0xf97d5f20, 0x00000001). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120604-05.dmp.
    ------------------------
    Both have same Event ID, but different memory locations thingys...Wonder what that means. There are a few more like this and it comes after the Bad_pool_header error.

--EDIT 2--
    Umm sorry, but Indexing Service is OFF. I can't see Indexing service in msconfig, its not there to disable, but its OFF in services.msc

And another weird thing keeps jumping into the startup options.
    dumprep 0 -k
    from %systemroot%\system32\
    What in the hell is that. If I disable it, it keeps coming back.
    Last edited by jetru; 12-06-2004 at 08:41 PM.

Default Re: BAD_POOL_HEADER + DVD Death

It sounds like your DVD has died (this does happen) and Windows (you don't state what version) has a registry problem which maybe fixed with a registry cleaning program or a clean install of the os itself. Did you add/remove any software or disable any Windows services prior to this error happening?

PSU is an acronym for power supply unit. It's what delivers power to your computer hardware, in essence. IT's the big thing in the back of the case with all the power cords goign to the motherboard, hard drives, CD drive, and fans. It also is what connects to the wall... I'm sure you get it. Look on it for brand name and "max outout [x] watts" so we can determine if it's sufficient. I doubt that's the problem, though.

Your RAM could be an issue. Try running Memtest (in my sig).

Without reading through all that information and doing some searches, I'd say start by either disabling System Restore or using it to go back before the problem started to see if that fixes it.

Edit: and as Wayout said, it's quite possible the DVD drive has simply died. Looks like we're both looking at the same problem with the registry, which a restore might fix.

Hmm...I have Windows XP Sp2...darn i can't believe I missed that.How can DVD be dead, if it is detected by POST and BIOS?

Quote Originally Posted by jetru
    How can DVD be dead, if it is detected by POST and BIOS?
    Most CD and DVD ROM's die because the laser fails but that won't stop it being detected as the rest of its hardware works, the only other reason that I know of is that Windows has run out of IRQ resources for all the hardware plugged into a PC, do you have any USB hardware plugged into it and if so what? (but usually in this case the whole secondary IDE channel will be dropped)

As to your other prob, did this start to happen straight after you did the SP2 update or did it happen after you added/removed some other software?
    Last edited by wayout44; 12-07-2004 at 06:00 PM.

My hijack this report...
    Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
    Scan saved at 4:24:13 PM, on 12/7/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    D:\Zonealarm\zlclient.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    D:\ZONEAL~1\MAILFR~1\mantispm.exe
    D:\Opera\opera.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    F:\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://gmail.google.com/gmail
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KAVPersonal50] d:\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\kav.exe /minimize
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "d:\Zonealarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O8 - Extra context menu item: + Offline &Explorer: Download the link - file://D:\Offline Explorer Pro\Add_UrlO.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: + Offline E&xplorer: Download the current page - file://D:\Offline Explorer Pro\Add_AllO.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://D:\MICROS~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - D:\YAHOOM~1\YPager.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - D:\YAHOOM~1\YPager.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{6CDCB368-F9AA-434D-998C-A9DDE59A7F27}: NameServer = 61.1.128.65 61.1.128.5

What's that thing in the end?

Looks clean, though I don't see that we asked for it, while other things we said have been ignored as far as I can tell. A few questions and a few things to try, but no feedback from you. Basically, we can't help you if we ask you questions and your answer is an answer not to the questions, but to a request that wasn't made...

Okay. Sorry about that. Anyway, i fixed the Bad_pool_header. I had installed a TI-86 Graph LINK software which allows me to connect a calculator to the comp. I uninstalled it and bad_pool is gone.
    I ran memtest, i got some 38 errors or so(from the first 6 tests,i never got any errors in the later tests.). But my comp seems to be working fine without crashes and stuff. Is that normal?
    And PSu output...I think it's 250 watts and company...No idea. I have been using the configuration for MONTHS(except for the calc). And nothing crazy has ever happened. So that cannot the problem.

My DVD is still dead. The secondary channel is there and another drive on secondary works fine. It started way after installing SP2. Around the time I installed that caculator. The crazy part i don't know when it exactly happened. I never noticed it at all because as far as i can remember i only browsed the net and never used anything on that drive for a week.
    I cleaned the registry using a registry cleaner.(it wasn't the thing that solved BAD pool anyway)
    I stll don't believe the DVD has died.It's on BIOS, it has to atleast be detected...

Try booting to a CD from it. If you don't have a bootable CD such as Windows XP, you could make one (and I'm to lazy to grab the instructions ATM so just google) that would be small and boot to something relatively uselss (but would prove the drive is still working). Or you could give a live CD Linux such as Knoppix (I'd recommend Damn Small Linux due to the small download size) if you wanted to test it out in an actual operating system other than XP.

If you're still getting RAM errors in memtest and you haven't overclocked or anything, you may want to look into replacing that RAM. I'd blame any further stability issues on that... If that PSU is even half-decent it should hold your system, and RAM errors are usually a bigger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    If you don't have a bootable CD such as Windows XP, you could make one (and I'm to lazy to grab the instructions ATM so just google)
    With Nero (and most other burning apps) just select to burn a bootable CD and burn a copy of a 98 startup disk to it will give you a bootable CD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information