Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WinXP won't shut off

OK all you XP Gurus, let's see what we can do here.

My problem is that my system will not shut down...period.

When I tell the system to shut down, it goes through it's little process and then hangs on the screen that says that it is now safe to turn of your computer. Though it's a pain, I would have been willing to go ahead and manually shut down from there, but the Power button does nothing. I can't turn it off. I end up having to hit the reset button, and then turn off the power once it makes it to the memory test spot on the reboot.

What gives? I like the new OS so far, but this is a royal pain!

BTW... I tried to use the registry hacks listed in the sticky of this forum, but I was unable to find the keys listed in the spots that they were supposed to be in the advice.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Sorry can't help ya there as my piece of sh!t actually does shut down with XP were in 98 or 98SE it will just hang at the cursor no matter what and I've tried all the tricks to fix it.
    <center></center>

I ran across Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter toward the bottom of the page is some info related to what you describe.
    Hope it helps:eek:

You might take a look too Wiggo, 9x resources there as well
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Have u tried playing around with acpi settings (silly question - I know u already have) in the bios

It's disabled, and all power management features in the OS are turned off as well.
    My Toys

uhh, do you have the soft boot type of power button or the hard boot kind? if its hard just turn it off, if its soft should work, try turning back ON acpi...doesn't seem to affect it much, i think...

Since I had a bit of time, I searched through the registry and found the keys referred to in the post from Grim. I have made those changes, and will see if it helps out some. If not, then I'll try to turn on the ACPI functions in the BIOS to see if it helps. It should be all right as long as I still keep everything disabled within the OS.

Other than that, everything seems to be working very well. :D
    My Toys

umm, darth, what edition of XP r u runnin?...when i read the prob i thought the reg hacks should fix it.....try creating the keys if they aren't there...hope this helps!
    At the request of wiggo ;)

Quote Originally Posted by [size=7
    Mr. C[/size]]
    I ran across Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter toward the bottom of the page is some info related to what you describe.
    Hope it helps:eek:

You might take a look too Wiggo, 9x resources there as well
    Been there and done that plus a few other things as well but it my have something to do with the 2 nics that I'm runnin' but as this is basically a 24/7 job it doesn't worry me much at all but thanx all the same. ;)
    <center></center>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information