Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows won't install?

Exclamation Windows won't install?

Hello, I have just built a new computer. When installing xp from a disk, after formatting the HD, it gives me this error. It only does it when setup is almost completely done, when its at the "Registering components" progress bar, the last one I believe. Its a blue screen that says it shut down to protect my computer. It gives a technicle reason, but its all offsets in the form of 80x898987 etc. It says I should try disabling the processer catch, and when I do this, sometimes it helps to move along, but it still never finishes. For any more info fell free to ask.

Thanks in advance,
    Lawton

Default Re: Windows won't install?

I had a somewhat similiar problem on my first XP install.

The problem that time was some USB device that I had plugged into the computer during the install. At least once I disconnected the USB, the install went in perfectly. Then I reconnected the USB, let XP find it, etc.

Just a thought
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

I unplugged my USB mouse, and it installed!

I was just using the computer in a normal manner, when the screen flashed then hit the blue screen again. It didn't appear long enough to read, but it flashed that then rebooted. What physicle part could cause this? I built the computer myself, and maybe I could have done something wrong.

donno, but I've always remembered that I had one hell of a time figuring out why the installation stopped, then for some reason, I unplugged the USB, then it went seamlessly.

Glad it worked out for ya

Try using a PS2 mouse
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    XP Pro

When I receive the error, at the beginning it says "Bad_Pool_Header" or something along those lines. I am running the system with the bare basics, just a vid card, mouse, and keyboard.

Should I just take it into a shop?

What does your Event Viewer show?

Does it have a "Warning" icon next to WinMgmt?

If so, then you can most likely get rid of that problem by switching off the M$ Indexing service.

Select Start/Run ant type in: services.msc and hit Enter
    Scroll down till you find "Indexing Service". Right-click it, Stop it and set it to Disabled.

Hope this helps, if not, let us know any errors you find in your event viewer
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    XP Pro

My services.msc is filled with TONS of warning and error messages, most of them are this type. There are multiple instances of ms management and almost all of them are error or warning. What should I do? I am also now getting random "error, needs to close" messages on my programs. Including random ones from "Dr. Watson debugger" and some vauge system one.

Thanks!

And if you require it...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
    Scan saved at 11:39:39 AM, on 12/26/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSI\Live Update 3\LMonitor.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\msimg32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe
    C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\FahCore_65.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Lawton Jenkins\Desktop\Seti@Home\SETI Driver.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Lawton Jenkins\Desktop\Seti@Home\setiathome-3.03.i386-winnt-cmdline.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Lawton Jenkins\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://gmail.google.com/gmail?_sgh=c...55288633b586ce
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LiveMonitor] C:\Program Files\MSI\Live Update 3\LMonitor.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDOWSmsimg32] C:\WINDOWS\msimg32.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [seticlient] C:\Program Files\SETI@home\SETI@home.exe -min
    O4 - Startup: Folding@Home 5.03.lnk = ?
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...?1103803264828
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

Thread Information