Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows XP transfering

Default Windows XP transfering

If i transfer windows XP from my old system to my new system will anything bad happen?

Default Re: Windows XP transfering

Please explain... Are you just moving the hard drive from one computer to another or are you using Norton Ghost (or some similar program) to copy everything from the old drive to a new one?

I mean like, i have WinXP on this computer, and i want to use the same WinXP disk on my other computer. Will anything bad happen if i install it on two computers?

aside from it being illegal?
    #

why is it illigal?

The disc was only meant for one computer use, though if you aren't going to be using the other system(at all) then there is no way they could tell... Since the key is only being used on one computer they couldent care less... I've done this multiple times, however they do care if they sense that the key is being used on more than one computer.(Unless of coarse you have a licenced version)
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeg
    I mean like, i have WinXP on this computer, and i want to use the same WinXP disk on my other computer. Will anything bad happen if i install it on two computers?
    One of the copies will have to be deactivated, provided you don't use a fake key or have an OEM copy (which you can't legally use on the other machine, though it'll probably work after reactivating it).

It is perfectly legal to install a retail version of Windows XP on a different machine than it was originally installed on, but the copy on the other machine will have to be deactivated and the new machine will have to be activated, which may even require a phone call to MS. Other than that, you cannot do this legally.

oh ok thanks all.

Thread Information