Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: bad_pool_header & page_fault_in_nonpaged_area BSoD's

Angry bad_pool_header & page_fault_in_nonpaged_area BSoD's

Ok. I've done hours of research. Tried all the answers given to me. I need help.

The other day, I went out and bought a AMD 64 3000+ Processor, along with a gigabyte K8 Triton (GA-k8vm800m -- VIA k8m800 chipset) Motherboard. both 754 Socket.

Now. I take it home, take apart my old maching and put these pieces in. Each one worked fine in my old machine.

- a 512mb stick of Kingston RAM, pc333 (2700) which is useable by the motherboard, according to the manual.
    -a ATI Radeon 9600xt 128mb AGP graphics card.
    -Some generic brand power supply.
    -And a Western Digital 80gb HD.

Now. I put it all together and start installing WindowsXP Pro. Do a Quick format, NTFS. I get an error in the installation. BSoD. No info given. I try again with a Full format, NTFS... and get XP put on. I load it up. And start installing drivers. And I keep getting a BSoD saying theres a problem with NTFS.sys, then one about Win32k.sys. I think its my HArd drive. So I put in a different one, and install XP. It gets caught up, i get imaptient, do a full format and try gain. It gets put on. I get Windows updates on, including SP2 and an error! No NTFS.sys errors, but now I get a:

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" 0x50 error.
    I Reboot.
    "BAD_POOL_HEADER"
    I do research. I find on here the Threads saying to go into services.msc and disable the Indexing Service. I do so. It works ok for a few hours, so I start to download other drivers.

"PAGE_FAULT...blah" error again.
    It says my Graphics card driver is the culprit. Ok, Well, I had already installed the latest Catalyst driver from ATI for WinXP. Same one I had before without any problems on my old system.
    "BAD_POOL_HEADER" GAAH!!
    But I already disabled that crap... Ok. I try what another person said, and try to disable the DEP? I don't have the option to turn it off.

So, now, here's what I have.

WindowsXP pro, sp2.
    AMD 64 3000+
    Gigabyte MoBo GA-K8VM800m
    512 ddr2700 kingston RAM
    I think its a 250w Power Supply
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT
    20gb Western digital HD
    LG 52x32x52x CD-RW
    An old Epson printer through USB.
    I use a Wireless Optical Microsoft Desktop Elite Keyboard/Mouse, I use the ps2 ports.

the RAM and graphics card works fine on my friends computer still with no errors. All running WinXP Pro.

Any ideas? Is the MoBo bad? Processor? Do I have 3 faulty HD's? RAM bad (on mine only)?

I can't run the memtest86x, as I can't burn ISO's and have no floppy installed. Not sure how to work .bin files either. But I'm sure the RAM will check out fine.

PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: bad_pool_header & page_fault_in_nonpaged_area BSoD's

Quote Originally Posted by jhoffoss
    -Some generic brand power supply.
    Well that's bad. Usually, these errors would mean something else, but that's a likely cause right there. Regardless of whether or no it is the cause of your problems, you should get a new PSU.

Also, what drivers are you installing and in what order are you installing them?

BTW, there's no such thing as PC333 RAM (well, with some crazy OCing of PC133 or underclocking of DDR, maybe...). That's PC2700, DDR333, 166MHz RAM.

Also I am surprised that thing even booted... 250W???
    If you can try to use a less power consuming video card (something you have lying around maybe), you may be able to get enough power to run everything proper and until you can get a bigger PSU for sure, try every thing you can to save power(no overclock, less case fans, one hard drive, one optical, and as few other components as possible, also turn off any option you are not going to use in bios. A lot of us have had good experiences with Antec, Thermaltake, and OCZ.

Ram is probably not the culprit here, but it will bottle neck it a bit when you get it running properly.

Your Mobo is probably fine as well, try a bigger PSU if you can borrow a friends or something.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

I have the same issue on a completely different system.
    About 5 months ago, I had the following configuration>
    Mobo: Abit AN7
    CPU: Barton 2500+
    Cooler: Titan TTC-5TB (Copper)
    Memory: 2*256 MB DDR400 (not in Dual Channel as they were made by different manufacturers)
    Video: Gigabyte ATi Radeon 9600 Pro (128bit, 128 MB)
    HDD: Seagate 7200.7, 80GB, IDE
    DVD-ROM Sony DDU1612, DVDRW LiteOn SOHW-832S
    No Floppy
    PSU: Codegen 300W
    Windows XP Pro+SP1
    ---------------------------------
    My system used to restart by itself at least once a day. With the "Automatically Restart" checkmark ticked off, it used tyo show a "BAD_POOL_HEADER" error. This was BAD. So I begun changing components, upgrading and modding stuff, hoping that this will go away one day.
    First thing first, I bought another PSU (EverPower, 500W, active PFC). No change. So it wasn't the PSU. So I bought another CPU Cooler, a Gigabyte PCU31-VH (Full Copper, very heavy). The CPU temperature dropped from 50-55 degrees at 4000 RPM to 38-43 degrees at 1900 rpm. Still, no change. I then replaced the memories with Dual-Channel Geil DDR400 (bought one of those 2-in-1 packs, especially designed for DualChannel, or so they say). Still BSODs. Now I decided to change the CPU so I sold mine and bought another Barton 2500+ (which is more versatile, I mean it works from 1.4 to 2V and can go up to 2.5 GHz and still be stable). Errors still remain. I even bought a passive cooler for the Video Board (Evercool VC-RHA) which made the GPU temperature drop by about 6 degrees. I then bought another HDD (an 160 GB Samsung IDE) and made a clean reinstall of WinXP Pro+SP2 on it. This is where a BIG surprise kicked in. The CD booted normally, setup went smoothly up to where it says "34 minutes left" and simply stopped there. No errors, no BSOD, no hangs, the 5 little green squares in the lower-right corner kept moving and the annoying advert screens from Microsoft kept cycling on the screen, the mouse pointer was moving, the keyboard was fine, but the Setup was stuck. I left it a whole night at that point, it wouldn't move.
    So next day I went to our company and grabbed a CD containing WInXP+SP2 unattended installation (we use it for quick testing the computers we ship) and it WORKED. No comment...
    Then I put the Drivers: nVIDIA nForce Drivers 5.1, ATi Catalyst 5.1 with Control Center, etc.
    While installing software I had a few surprises: Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0.1 installed OK but failed to start (access violation error)
    The only two hardware pieces still unchanged in my system are the Mobo and the Video Board... So I guess it's one of them. But which one?

Getting exact same errors following a swap of a DVD writer and installation, but not running of partition magic.

My machine is Dell DImension 8400 P4 3.2GHz, XP Pro SP1, 1G ram, 250G HDD,
    ATI X800XT, Soundblaster Audigy2, Philips DVD 8631 +/- writer.

Machine is 'new' from Dell 'factory outlet' - might end up returning it, but might be a challenge to fix. I think I'll update drivers first.

Good luck!

cheers
    Nod

Thread Information