Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 64x

Default Windows 64x

Hi I am new to the windows 64x, and I'm wondering if it were to be like the previous version 64bit. When i ran 64bit not many programs were running on my system and basically i was not able to do anything. Has anyone tested it out yet? I am wondering if i can game or actually do something on this windows. Hoping to finally use the full potential of my athlon 64.

Default Re: Windows 64x

Why do that? Whats wrong with regular 32bit Windows XP? Most of us dont buy an athlon 64 to use the 64bit capabilities (although its a nice bonus), we buy it because its good value for money, good for overclocking and offers superior performance in the 32bit Windows XP environment. Windows 64 lacks proper driver support and there arent many applications that i know of written for it.

yeah what sr said

Ummm, if you don't buy an Athlon64 for its 64-bit capabilities...thats a bit of a lie or ignorance in my opinion.

The 64-bit version of WinXP has an emulation mode to handle most 32-bit programs. It isn't a perfect port so not all programs work (mainly the ones requiring a 32-bit kernel from the OS), but many programs work fine. And since it has the MS name on it (even in beta form), more software makers are in the process of porting their titles to handle a true 64-bit platform.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

so does that mean I can run games? and normal applications? Can you name some daily programs that people usually use on their desktop if they are a gamer that tehy cannot use? I dont know if I should format my computer for this new windows os ;)

Since the OS is still officially in the beta phase, I wouldn't recommend doing a complete switch. Remember, beta is to try out a new product and then respond back to the maker with any bugs or glitches you run across. Your best bet is to run a dual boot setup witn WinXP-64 and your other primary OS. This way you can still have a working OS for all your normal programs and still play with the 64-bit version to see what it is capable of and to help you decide if you want to use it full time.
    My Toys

i see.... So does anyone know any common programs that wont run on a 64 bit windows?

I've heard of some problems with some of the CD burning software (CloneCD and Alcohol120%) but haven't tried them myself.
    My Toys

aha... ok thanx for everyone's help if anyone has anything to add that might help post ^_^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information