Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Why does Windows XP partitioning leaves a 8mb unformatted partition?

Default Why does Windows XP partitioning leave a 8mb unformatted partition?

Does it use that 8 mb partition for something or is it a flaw in the design?
    Last edited by Spongebob; 02-17-2005 at 11:54 AM.

Default Re: Why does Windows XP partitioning leaves a 8mb unformatted partition?

Its system reserved space or something...probably partition information

Default Re: Why does Windows XP partitioning leaves a 8mb unformatted partition?

Quote Originally Posted by sr4470
    Its system reserved space or something...probably partition information

Is it nessasary if the O.S. is on that drive?

You could just use a disk tool like partitionmagic to recover the unused 8mb after you've installed.

Quote Originally Posted by sr4470
    You could just use a disk tool like partitionmagic to recover the unused 8mb after you've installed.

I could, but I'm wondering if Win XP needs this 8mb for something. I have an older computer I'm selling to a freind and upon formatting without that 8 mb partition that Win XP leaves behind, windows would not install properly got a blue screen shortly into the Win XP install process (Twice). See the drive use to be a slave drive without an O.S. on it, so I actually didn't have that 8mb partition on it at first. I now have installed Windows but the only 2 things I change were that I repartioned using Win XP and used defualt safe settings in the bios on a Gygabyte GA-8SQ800 mainboard. I'm not sure which solved the problem but I'm leaning toward the Win XP partion with that 8 mb unformatted partition. I'm wondering if this actually serves some sort of purpose for Win XP, since it might have been the reasons for those install attempts gone wrong.

Thread Information