Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Best O/S?????Could be DOS???

As I said in the last post....and its true....software last forever if it allowed to and will perform just as good as the day you got it....I actually have a small Win partition for the Camera ....and that will NEVER see the net at all....nor any updates....no need to....the best camera software I've ever had....and that's the way it will stay......Linux does everything I want and more securely...I know it does have security issues but no where near as many as Windows.....and best of all.....its FREE and no-one is gunna tell me I can't use it anymore.....or I have to get another one to use on another machine...etc etc etc etc

Ps Soap box for sale or lease

There you have it.
    As long as you can do what you need to do it can't truly be called outdated - old maybe but not outdated.
    When it comes to Operating Systems I guess I'm just not a dedicated follower of fashion. (or anything else for that matter:laugh: )
    On the matter of security issues - wonder what the "hole of the day" will be tomorrow:?:
    Back in October '98 I patched IE 4 times in less than 2 weeks. What's the point?
    The only way to get security is to rework the entire architecture of computing from the ground up. We seem to be beating a dead horse with the current system of dog-chasing-his-tail hourly fixes.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Back in the early days of DOS, like around 3.1, I had come up with an idea, and a good friend of mine worked on it, but to no avail.. remember.. this is back in the 80's. Make the OS main part, the kernel and all things that are NOT changed, part of a READ ONLY MEMORY, ROM/ intertlaced with fast RAM. The OS would be harware installed to boot by plugging a device into your computer that had the OS. after the initialization of the BIOS, it would search for this device, and if found, would boot from it, else boot from whatever.

By keeping the Operating System main part in ROM, the system would boot up extremely fast. It would work with other parts and pieces of the operating system, located on the hard drive. To change operating systems, you simply unplugged and plugged in the new OS (while the computer was off of course) and next time you booted, then THAT OS would be the one of choice. This part (in part) is now attainable, but only by sofware design, not hardware design.

After all DOS 4.11 and others "DO" referr to "D isk O perating System". All any OS does is initialize and handshake the different componets with various drivers wakes everyone up and says.. ok.. were all here at this meeting, any work needed to be done! LOL

I remember when you booted to DOS and you could run Windows as an option, like it was just another DOS program.. then 95 came out and it WAS the OS.. so to speak.

Oldbugger, if you contact Microsoft on your idea for kids computers, it might (using that word loosly here) pan out for some support for them. Here in the states, MS has donated millions of dollars in setting up schools and libraries with computers. Microsoft donates Millions each year to different worthy causes.

Love ya guys!!
    ...as always....
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

hey Frost you might be onto something there.
    With todays USB capability, if you incorprated USB into the BIOS you could switch OS's without rebooting:D

When you consider Windows is a 32 bit application that is interfacing with an 8 bit OS, it's a wonder anything ever works:laugh:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    When you consider Windows is a 32 bit application that is interfacing with an 8 bit OS, it's a wonder anything ever works:laugh:
    The same could be said for Novell NetWare [another clown suit that relies on DOS], and go figure its a server OS...:laugh:

Beefy Guest

That's just depending whether you use Caldera DOS or MS-DOS.. :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information