Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My PC is going mute!

Question My PC is going mute!

Somewhere in a large-scale salvage operation on my PC (found several viruses, adware and lots of spyware), my soundcard went dead. I reinstalled all the software for the PC except the OS (Windows 2000), all the drivers and so forth, and could barely get a sound out of my speakers. I checked the speakers with another source and they work, and I even get a short sound from them on only two functions (I think it's when I close an option box and something else). No, these sounds are from my stereo speakers, NOT the little one in my tower case.

I checked in Control Panel under Sounds and Multimedia, and several things are listed as normal sounds for different functions, but none of them make any noise. I can't even play them in the little dialogue box that has a play button.

I tried several different drivers, and finally found (what is supposed to be) the correct one for this Motherboard (sound is onboard the MSI-6380E mobo). Downloaded the latest version from the MSI site and installed it (after uninstalling any other audio drivers that were in there) and still nothing.

FYI: The audio driver is for a VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM) and shows a version number 6.14.1.3870, provided by Sensauro Ltd., file version 4.12.01.2002. That probably means something in Greek, but not to me. I don't even really understand what an "audio controller" is. Is that the actual chip on the mobo that says "VIA" on it? And the driver is the software that tells the mobo what to do with it?

No conflicts showing in Device Manger or anywhere else.
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...UID=320&kind=1
    is the MSI webpage that shows my mobo and lists the driver for audio. It's the VIA AC97 PCI Sound Driver. By the way, MS-6380E is the PCB (printed circuit board) name, which is used with various chipsets to produce the final motherboard.K7T266 Pro2-A is the chipset used in my motherboard.

More specifically, here's what I'm running on, according to this nice little Belarc Advisor program that I downloaded from somewhere:
    Board: MSI MS-6380E 1.0
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01
    1150 megahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195)
    768 Megabytes Installed Memory

I do get sound - in only 2 obscure situations - which indicates:
    a. the speakers work
    b. the onboard sound still works
    c. some driver, at least, works some of the time
    I don't know didley about codecs or those other things I saw in the "Sounds and Multimedia" folder, but something is working some of the time.

The question is: Why do I only get these 2 obscure sounds (a beep and some other oddball sound) in these 2 obscure situations, and nothing else? I even tried to kill the onboard sound via the BIOS and put in an old PCI sound card - no joy.

Should I send my PC (or myself) to that monestary with the "vow of silence"?

Default Re: My PC is going mute!

Just my two cents worth, but I've found that if I mess around and get infected with hardcore virus or trojan files, it is always best to do a full reinstall of the system. Cleaners can do a decent job sometimes, but for those infections that haunt the kernel and core system files it is always best to scrap it and start from scratch.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks, Darthtanion. Yes, if some sound-card GENIUS doesn't hop in soon with some advice, that may be exactly what I'll do. POTENTIALLY, I can find out which codecs or other bits of exotic nonsense that I'm missing. But as one old Texas saying goes (when I lived in Dallas), "Ya can't EAT potential!"

I take a different approach than Darth. I'll go down fighting a virus right up until I have no options left. I hate reformatting.

But, last time I had a problem like this, I reformatted. I didn't even get a virus. It was with network in that situation, but it was similar enough. It may be less time-consuming to simply reinstall.

Another concern: Your processor is underlocked. There's no 100MHz FSB 1.15GHz Athlon XP. The FSB should be either 133 or 166, most likely.

Yea with an 11.5 multi, it would have to be an xp1800 or xp2600barton. How long has it been like that?
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w