Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Bootable Floppy to recognize hard drive

Default Bootable Floppy to recognize hard drive

I am running Windows XP. I formatted a bootable Floppy from it. When I boot from the Floppy and get the A: prompt, I enter C: (as I want to run a program on my hard drive that is too big to go on the Floppy) but it says the drive is not recognized. How do I make the bootable floppy recognize my C: hard drive?

Default Re: Bootable Floppy to recognize hard drive

First off, I will move this thread into the proper section. Please take note of the sections available in the forums and post inthe proper one.

Secondly, your bootable floppy disk does not recognize the NTFS file system being used on your XP box. This is a DOS limitation and requires a third party utility NTFS reader. Do a Google search and you should find several to choose from.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks for the quick response. Apologies for posting to the wrong section. My first time using the service!

Unfortunately NTFS Reader does not solve my issue. I probably didn't explain it very well. I have a bootable Floppy with the DOS version of Norton Disk Doctor 2005 on it. I want to boot form the Floppy and run NDD against the C: drive to check it for erros and repair them. When I enter NDD C: from the A:> prompt it comes back with an error. Obviously does not recognize the C: drive. It's beginning to look like I can't do what I want to, but just in case.... I would appreciate any help you can give.

I haven't kept up to date with Norton as I don't use it much anymore, but why not run the desired program from the CD. One would think that if the program is compatible with WinXP it would have some sort of internal NTFS reader within the application. Even if you decide to go ahead and boot from the floppy instead of the CD (unless things have changed, Norton uses a bootable disk), you should still be able to boot up with CD support. If this doesn't work then try to give a shout to Norton customer service and see what they say.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information