Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: too much reg cleaning. oops!

Unhappy too much reg cleaning. oops!

sorry i don't ask too many questions about actually 'tweaking' stuff, but this place is GREAT for answers about all kinds of info. thanx!! anyway...

yeah, so I did something kinda dumb with WinASO on my friend's pc [os=winxp, processor=celeron, yeah, just s store-bought dell] and managed to get rid of some fairly important reg keys for mozilla firefox. when i attempt to open firefox the following error message pops up:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity

Line Number 910, Column 33:

chromedir=&locale.dir;>

-------------------------------^

i tried to simply restore the mistake i made, but to no avail. i also tried to uninstall the program [firefox], but hey guess what... yeah got rid of necessary info for uninstall as well.
    this may be extraneous information because all i really want to know is how to go about safely/effectively uninstalling firefox so i can reinstall a functioning version and get winaso to skip any firefox-related reg entries in the future.
    so simply put, my question is, 'how the heck can i 'uninstall' firefox?'

thanx a BUNCH for your help.

ps: i'd REALLY like to avoid using the last system restore point since [oops again] it was a while ago since they set their last one.

Default Re: too much reg cleaning. oops!

Not that it does you a lot of good (and you've prolly figured it out by now) but you should ALWAYS backup your registry before doing anything to it. Anyway ... have you attempted to reinstall Firefox over itself?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

yes, i have tried to rerinstall over the existing program. the result is an error message stating 'error installing firefox: 5'. and you're right, not making a backup previous to that little debacle was yet another dumb part of our mistake. normally i do. we were just in a bit of a rush, i guess.

any other suggestions?

I'm no expert but my next move would be to find the Firefox folder on the C drive and rename it temporarily then try another reinstall. ...just throwing out ideas....
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

When you tried to uninstall, was it simply not in Add/Remove Programs? Or, was it there, and did it give you an error message and if so, what?

thanx for the idea prairiedawg. not a bad one.
    to answer your question, yawg, it does show up in the add/remove programs list. when i try to remove the program, the following error message appears...
    -------------------
    Error
    0 : Uninstall log folder not found:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox\1.0PR(en-US)\Uninstall\Uninstall Log Folder
    ----------------------

hopefully that'll help to decipher things a bit. if nothing crosses your mind for a simple solution, then what do you think of p.dawg's idea? thanx for your help, guys.

You can try PrarieDog's idea, but I do think it's more likely that something in the registry is preventing this from working and that the location of the actual Mozilla files will make no difference. It is worth trying though.

What I would do is find all of the Mozilla entries in the registry and delete them. Start in the HKEY_Local_Machine\Software and HKEY_Current__Users\Software. First delete the Mozille folders in there, and then if it doesn't work, go searching for more using Regedit's search feature. This can be tedious as it might take a while to delete all the necessary entries, but it should work in the end. Make sure you backup the registry this time.

Thread Information