Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Dell Inspiron - "Drivers" and "Dell" Folders

Default Dell Inspiron - "Drivers" and "Dell" Folders

In my C drive, where I have the folders for program files and windows, I have a drivers folder and a dell folder. Is it safe to just romove these or do they contain anything vital? I have the feeling the drivers folder only has files needed to install default drivers.

Default Re: Dell Inspiron - "Drivers" and "Dell" Folders

Quote Originally Posted by (witty name)
    In my C drive, where I have the folders for program files and windows, I have a drivers folder and a dell folder. Is it safe to just romove these or do they contain anything vital? I have the feeling the drivers folder only has files needed to install default drivers.

I'm guessing it would be safe to remove them but I can't really say foresure becuase its possible you might have some programs from Dell installed in the dell folder. Its really hard to say without knowing what the subfolders say that are inside of those 2 folders you mentioned.

3. Default Re: Dell Inspiron - "Drivers" and "Dell" Folders

I have a dell 2400. It was perfectly fine for me to delete the dell / drivers folder. I hope it is the same with your computer.

Those files are where Dell stores the info if you need to use your System Restore CDs. If you delete them, you will not be able to use your rescue CDs. Tread lightly with anything Dell puts on there. If you should need to Rescue your PC due to a corruption or something of that nature, you will not be able to after removing that stuff. I say leave it there and if you need more space, get another hard drive.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Your system restore CD's needing those files? Never heard that before, show me some proof. Restore CD's are 99% of the time the Windows copy with stock drivers already on it and whatever else Dell chooses to put on them. IF you had to have those files, than Dell would not be able to replace Hard Drives. I think the folders are unneeded.

I have a Dell and those folders are only created when installing the drivers. They are the defaults paths when extracting the drivers for installation. They should be safe to delete.

7. Default Re: Dell Inspiron - "Drivers" and "Dell" Folders

I deleted those files and did a system restore and everything worked fine. I did do some driver updates and dell creates a folder and dumps all the files it needs into it. After that, they are useless.

when you use the cd they give you thats the default folder location it extracts too. thats why that are all on c. they also do that on the ghosted image which is why when you get a new system they are already there.

Just make a copy of them on CD and then delete them. It's not like your going to know what happens by not doing anything. Anyways, F Dell.

Thread Information